Forum Titles Gone

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Joviex, Jan 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

And now I noticed they must have wiped whole threads because my message count and like count were reduced more than half!

BillRoy likes this.
  2. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

It was based on trophy points, and many trophies are earned by likes (also post count).

BillRoy and Isaiah like this.
  3. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Not that I can tell, unless you had a lot of posts in a thread that was deleted that I wasn't in. Mine appear to be the same. I think they usually just lock threads and let them drift to the bottom... not sure about deletions.

4. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

I am sorry, I think you might have the wrong location. The only thing updated in the founder's developer blog since September 24th is the Standup Corner.

https://shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?forums/founders-developer-blog.22/

Perhaps my cache is not updating in that area? =p

[​IMG]

sgt_pEppEr, Bramagola and BillRoy like this.
  5. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

I can confirm

[​IMG]

BillRoy likes this.
  6. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

There was a PvP thread that was over 90 pages long, it's not there anymore and got completely deleted after being locked. I didn't care, but many posts were thoughtfully made (by quite a number of people) and completely obliterated. Maybe it was too much of a mess to sort out, because commenting on something that had been deleted was left sometimes. In any case, I didn't "spam" a thread to get a title. I discussed because I was into the topic.

7. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Yes, screenshots of in-game items. What the standup corner has no value anymore? I thought that has always been the best part of the founders blog. Although the new items/art is nice.

8. chillblain

chillblain Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Really, it's a matter of time and resources. We've adopted a rather aggressive schedule for our releases so the vast majority of our time is going into making sure each release is completed and ready for a smooth deployment on time. Needing to release major chunks of playable content to the public each month or so is no small task and takes up most of our time. Currently, the releases are our major priority so most of the devs are in a heads down mode.

9. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

If you guys are really worried about new threads in the section they can post the standups in a new thread everyday.

TEK likes this.
  10. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Maybe I lost a few at some point then.. I've posted in most threads. I know some threads I was really active in early on got deleted, but that was before posts counts started so I had no idea how many I lost.

11. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Lord British still has his title. :D The important ones count!

BillRoy and Kuno Brauer like this.
  12. Alayth

Alayth Avatar

I think the complaints are the lack of substance in the standups - getting 2 words per dev, often incomprehensible to an outsider, doesn't really give us a broad picture of what's being accomplished and worked on

NirAntae, Envy / Midian and OSullivan like this.
  13. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

To be fair the broad picture of what is being accomplished and worked on has already been released in the form of the alpha schedule, seeing that being transferred into a working demo each month is huge progress, out of which further input is added.

I think there is plenty for us all to get our teeth stuck knot over the next few months.

mitchellhamilton likes this.
  14. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Release 2 is January 24th!!! These guys are too busy to have dev chats every week. The art show is still good though. It shows them working on something in real time, and keeps things creative and free thinking. We will have many memories playing this game and we will remember seeing the concept art live! How cool is that?

Stuff is actually happening at a high pace right now. The holidays were probably necessary for everybody to relax a bit from the tough emotional months before release 1. I'm sure we'll see a new chapter being released, and a new item in the store.

If anybody is having trouble being patient join the Google+ community for Shroud of the Avatar, and follow ultima codex and follow caverns dungeons and beyond, and also the Forsaken Virtues site by dame lori. They are always updating with cool stuff. Currently Ultima Codex has a lot of cool stuff relating to Lord British and SotA. Go check it out.

15. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Well I think here is where my problem stems.

You adopted a strategy of aggressive scheduling for the releases, but that was never really bubbled up to us. Maybe in drip threads, or an occasional IRC, but it never makes it outside much more than a half-mention.

I see this over and over:

"hey, look, would you rather have us work on the game or give you information" argument. It just has new treads on it every single time.

The short version: look back on your own KS videos, and the ensuing months after those. I understand things get said that you need to change, or re-design, and they have to evolve.

We've seen that with things like the Dallas/DS correction over lot selection, etc... I get it, really I do.

This one is yet another instance of "we promised one thing, undefined, yet we are confused over why you (community) are confused about how we decided to implement it".

You are leaving all our levels of expectation out there never putting up the appropriate cutoffs and then in the rears telling us it was never intended to be designed/developed/consumed that way.

That is my exact point. You can't say everyone is involved, we are so exposed, new and exciting, then turn around and say, too much work, no time to talk.

When you have made those choices, like, what is our level of commitment to the community in terms of telling them XYZ, you should also convey that to the community.

Then there is no confusion, or people making up scenarios or unreal expectations.

To be honest, I posted this, in JUNE of last year. This is the same conversation, it is not changing. And while I did talk with Chris about some specific use-cases I was after, and my over estimation of what the DEV+ area was intended to be, this is out here, in general community land now.

I really, really dislike being the person saying it, but I really don't think I am the first.

And I am not asking for the world, a lot of people on this thread have said it more succintly than I. Just some bubbling of events happening that really have a global effect. A little more info than a line or two on the standup would also be nice.

I think that one is a case in point. You guys give is a standup report, and there is yet another thread on the standup to INTERPRET the standup!

How silly is it that we users have to guess what you mean by person X: leather and world.

o_O

I do standups, I know the requirement of quick fire, what-are-you-doing-15-minutes-and-out.

The problem is, they are highly contextual to the project and we have zero context for the vast majority of the items =)

Tarsin, sgt pEppEr, Bramagola and 3 others like this.
  16. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I completely understand that you guys are busting your butts to get it done on time.

My concern is that people pledged money because of how much the team promised to be open, promised to have plenty of dev hangouts, etc. Many pledged more to get to the Dev+ tiers, expecting that there would be more meaty information. Not being able to provide more information kind of screws those people who may not have normally put that much money into the project or who wouldn't have otherwise bought into the idea. So what do those people do? Sit back and just accept it, and be turned off of any future contribution?

Joviex likes this.
  17. Maka

Maka Avatar

We get to play again in 16 days! Nuff said right there.. I'm a proof is in the pudding camp. People can make promises, type blogs and send emails all day or they can deliver! I still remember when (oneandonly?) banged out awesome looking rivers in like a day.

Time Lord, rild and Koldar like this.
  18. Maka

Maka Avatar

As far as Dev plus goes, don't forget the knowledge bomb Chris dropped before the break. I've never seen a game company that open, honest and interesting. Heat maps, data usage, databases...

Can't forget to mention Lum & Starr taking the time to update us while on break.

19. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Me too, that was an awesome video. Too bad we haven't seen more like it.

(P.S. I love PotA and Stephen to the moon and back. I would still love to have a more rounded peek inside, especially to the programming, technical, design, economic, balance, etc aspects.)

Maka, rild, Joviex and 1 other person like this.
  20. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

To be honest as a Dev+ member, I'm not overly interested in what time someone has a crap in the morning.

I believe that they have been very open to a degree.....yes things have changed and posts haven't been made to see what peoples views are, but running a post for many people to debate something is not always the best approach.....sometimes a quick executive decision is required.

Given the alpha schedule, I have taken great comfort in the fact that the hangouts have gone quiet. I know myself through work during busy times it's can take weeks before a group of us can get around a table to discuss items which are not absolute top priority and even then it is subject to change.

I quite often pop into IRC and on quite a few occasions over Christmas, Darkstarr has been on taking and answering questions......I know that this isn't done via official threads in this this forum.....but you know what, that's where the community kicks in and and relays the important messages.

As far as I'm concerned a great job is being done and I'm looking forward to the 24th.

mitchellhamilton, Maka, rild and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.