"Legal" Unauthorized Lot Access

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Kinkara, Jan 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kinkara

Kinkara Avatar

Lately, there have been a few claims made about Unauthorzied Lot Access, and weather or not it's a "Bug" or "Exploit". I'm creating this post to try and clarify what is, and what is not allowed. When you click on your lot marker and highlight the Lock Doors Box, and a message reading "Locks all doors on the lot. If a door is opened, those without access will still be blocked from entering through the door, but they may be able to find other WAYS in."
    Now that, that's been cleared up, which is there are multiple ways in a locked lot, so by definition getting in one isn't a bug or exploit, we can move forward. I haven't been able to find anything online about Portalarium saying what those ways would be, much less what isn't allowed. Below ive listed a few ways:
    #1 Roof access
    #2 Night Step (PVP only)
    #3 ????? (PVP only)
    #4 ????? (PVP only
    #1 Roof access is the most known way to get in a lot, PVP or non PVP. Not much said here, if you can make the jump, you're in.
    #2 Night Step - until recently, no big cry of foul play, but i let a victim know about this and with-in 3 days this was said by Berek that this was a bug to be fixed by R38. Really!?!?!?!
    #3 and # 4 I'm hesitant to release how until I know whats allowed. As I've already pointed out, its in black and white that there are legal ways in your lot wether or not your doors are locked, and Portalarium seems to be OK with that, otherwise why stress it. But yet, Nightstep will be taken away as a tool to use? Night step differs from blink in the way it works, and how its worded. I wonder had the person not complained, if it would be in the next release to be fixed. Please don't water down the PVP Thief by taking away our ways of BnE.
    Feedback from the Devs on this would help me out a ton by still playing my style, and not breaking any rules. TY

2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

There's a skill called Pick Locks that has not been implemented yet. THAT is because breaking into people's locked homes is not supported by the game mechanics. We're in development. Like many playstyles, yours will have to wait until there is a supported system.

At least, that's how I see it.

3. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

places that are locked are done so to keep all players out If you have found a way in then you are finding a bug / exploit. the statement you are looking at needs to be changed.

Your play "style" is not the issue it is the fact that you consistently look for loop holes (exactly what you are again doing) that allow you to "play style" thief but there is much more to it,

Womby, Stundorn, Fister Magee and 2 others like this.
  4. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

5. Net

Net Avatar

Well, for exaple if your wall is not high enough, people can jump over it and the locked gate will not help you much in that case. Or when there is missing section in your fence.

Pretty sure devs meant incomplete fences and walls, though I caannot really speak for them and some clarification would be welcomed.

6. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

@Kinkara

Probably not worth posting or debating that kind of thing here.......people will just hold it against you and any arguments pro PvP style will just be beaten down by the community. Oh they will probably call for you to be banned as well.

Not worth the time or effort.

7. Net

Net Avatar

I have no idea what lockpicking will be used for though I never thought it will be PvP feature, rather alternate way to get to locked chests and through locked doors in underground and dungeons when you do not know where the key is...

Black Tortoise likes this.
  8. Net

Net Avatar

Perhaps you should at least PM devs of possible exploit or ask them for clarification so that they know about possible issue and you know if you are doing something that might get you banned;)

Womby and Fister Magee like this.
  9. Drocis the Devious

Actually if you go by the text in that screen shot, it's not saying anything about "you can enter a home that is locked" it's only saying that if you leave your door open players might still find a way in. It implies that if you leave your door closed they can't get in at all - which we know is incorrect. It's not well worded, but that doesn't really matter. Anyone trying to use this wording as an excuse to grief or exploit deserves to be held accountable for their actions.

Womby and zyxe like this.
  10. Kinkara

Kinkara Avatar

Already made a thread regarding this. Portalarium is giving you permission to bypass a locked door with this statement."But they may be able to find other WAYS in" ways being more then 1, past a locked door. I have found a few. Whats legit and what isn't?

iansmellios likes this.
  11. Net

Net Avatar

I think there is big difference between door on lot (gate in wall or fence) and door of house.

12. Drocis the Devious

RG spoke about it during the last dev hangout. He said that he liked the idea of allowing lock picking in pvp areas only. And he also suggested that it would "probably" require special items that would "allow" lock picking to be used on a home. Meaning that only players that had these special items stored in their homes would be able to have their home locks picked.

I think that's a great beginning to a pick lock system, but there are a lot of details I would want to hear about before I supported it fully. I'm hopeful though.

Stundorn and Net like this.
  13. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Spin too much, you're just going to get sick and /puke. :D

Kinkara has robbed me blind on a couple of occasions, and afterwards - I always talked to him about how he did it and what I could do to improve my game. He may be a thief in the game, but he's also got one of the best attitudes of fair play that I've encountered in SotA PVP. You keep attacking this guy like he's exploiting and griefing... he's not - if anything he should be the one reporting all of us to devs for griefing him.

The lock doors function CLEARLY STATES that people may be able to find other ways in. The Night Step glyph CLEARLY STATES it can be used to teleport behind a target.

It's like being in bizzarro land when people talk about PVP sometimes. I just don't get it.

14. Kinkara

Kinkara Avatar

I've always assumed both were locked when you did lock doors.

15. Drocis the Devious

In no way have I implied that Kinkara is exploiting or griefing. I've had very little interaction with him in the game. I'm responding to his opinion on locked doors, and if he's been exploiting or using tactics to grief other players I don't know that one way or the other.

I don't think the devs like being lawyered. I don't think that's a good strategy here. :)

16. Kinkara

Kinkara Avatar

just sayin, hard to say no, when you are also saying yes.

Adam Crow and iansmellios like this.
  17. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

there is also LAG... I accidentally entered a house because of lag... I thought the lot was empty so I ran across it to get to where I'm going quickly but, suddenly, the house appeared and I found myself inside. LOL!

Black Tortoise, Fister Magee and Net like this.
  18. Net

Net Avatar

Well good for PvP bad for PvE thieves:)

They are. However I think the warning is meant for other ways to get past "decoration doors" and not into house. Though maybe it is also meant for the upcoming lockpicking skill.

19. Kinkara

Kinkara Avatar

There is no PvE thief, unless you consider going around town picking up fruits and vegetables.

Vox Aquila and iansmellios like this.
  20. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I kinda might be missing something..
    But why should i care if someone finds a way on my lot?
    Is it really for the fear that im AFK inside it? Or is there something else? ( basic permissions kinda stop anyone from taking anything... )

Not a shot at anyone. Legit question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.