"Legal" Unauthorized Lot Access

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Kinkara, Jan 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I just find it hard to sympathize if thats how you feel, yet your IN a PVP town.
    Isn't the whole idea behind a PVP town to include any and all aspects of PVP? Stealing included.

The other thing is.. with the permission setup.. lock door point is pretty moot. Make sure ure permissions are correct.. and just like ANY OTHER PVP place, dont go AFK flagged or in a PVP zone.

Im still failing to see the issue here. IMO Anyone who stuck a house in a PVP zone, shouldnt have done it with the *safe place* intention.. even tho except for a small bypass, it is. And that being said.. your stuff in the actual house is compeltly safe right now. (isnt it?)

2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Yes, but to a point.

Are walls no longer barriers in a pvp town?
    Do doors just stop working in a pvp town?
    Are defenses meaningless in a pvp town?

PVP towns are not arena death matches, they're towns where players can attack each other. There's a huge difference between the two.

In towns, you don't specifically go there just to attack anything moving. In Death Matches you do.
    In towns you don't "keep score", while in Death Matches you do.
    In towns you can buy and sell things, build relationships with people, roleplay even. Try doing that in counter strike. :)

Do you see the difference? In order to allow for pvp towns to be more than just death traps where everyone dies over and over again, we have to use common sense mechanics that provide various levels of relative safety depending on where you are and what you're doing. If you're at a crafting station in the middle of a field, that would be significantly less safe than if you were inside a home surrounded by walls, locked doors, NPC guards, traps, etc... For the difference to be meaningful, the protected player should not be accessible simply by pressing one button on a skill that ignores all of those things and instantly teleports an attacker directly behind them. Otherwise, we're really wasting our time building pvp towns.

Why don't players go to Shardfalls very often? How about ruins? Because there's no where to take a break. If players are there, they're there to kill. I go into Shardfalls routinely and I rarely see anyone (not even people farming resources). Why? Because no one signs up to be a slaughtered sheep. Just like no one wants to live in a home that at any moment someone will walk in and kill you.

When blood bay arrives, you won't find people "living there" if walls can simply be bypassed at will. You'll find lots claimed, but not one will be there that isn't actively trying to kill you. That doesn't make for a good "town" it only makes for a good 15 minute brawl where eventually one side wins and the other side loses.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    Numa and Stundorn like this.
  3. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

This has nothing to do with PVP towns... sorry BDF - but this is not a soapbox for you to campaign for how you want to run Rat's Nest. This is about PVP and how Open PVP works where the teleport skill is concerned. If you want more control over your town - hire a police force - stop trying to change how PVP is supposed to work for the entire game.

Is Night Step a Teleport skill or is it something else?

ANSWER: It's a teleport skill.

......................................edit....................................

Wanted to add that everyone attacking skills as a fix for their idea of life in Open PVP are completely missing the point of Open PVP in SotA. You can't force Open PVP to be something it's not by attacking a player's play style or proficiency. I learned this the right way - by flagging for Open PVP and being a part of the world - I went from sheep to newb to PK/Thief Hunter in only a few releases. I'm not even a strong contender in PVP - but I know my way around and I can hold my own - and being anti-PK makes the game even harder. But who cares!?! Open PVP is fun - and it is what it is - this is what we have people.

If you want factions... lobby for factions. If you want guards... lobby for guards. If you want special controls in POTs... lobby for special controls in POTs. If you want Open PVP... get in the game.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  4. Drocis the Devious

I want Rats Nest to have the ability to be Rats Nest, but that's not what I'm campaigning for.

I'm talking about how a simple bug like what we found in Night Step is leading to a world where players can't find safety in their own homes - be they in a PVP town or not in a PVP town (the bugged Night Step doesn't care).

If you want PVP towns to be barren wastelands, by all means make walls and locked doors meaningless. Btw, I don't remember hearing that players in UO had a skill that let them teleport through walls and into someone's home to kill and steal from them. I remember hearing that there were ways to trick players and there were ways to steal keys from them, but I never remember hearing that in this open pvp world you could simply teleport at will into the home of a player. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't know of any game in existence that allows that type of play.

Numa and Stundorn like this.
  5. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Open PVP has always been sold as Open PVP by the dev team. Night Step is a teleport skill. SotA is a MMO sandbox.

Math:

Open PVP + skills + MMO + sandbox = PVP in SotA

A teleport skill that teleports is not bugged.

6. Drocis the Devious

Zero Logic times anything is still zero, Duke Avery.

Look, it's pretty simple. If walls don't act as a barrier, if homes don't stop teleportation, we're not going to have pvp towns, we're going to have non-populated death zones. That shouldn't be anyone's goal here.

7. Drocis the Devious

Why do you keep saying things like this?

Womby, Fister Magee and Net like this.
  8. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Sorry, I had a Keep deed in a NPC town... your argument of functional walls is completely lost on me.

And where PVP is concerned... I'm not a game developer but I did get in the game and flagged for Open PVP and as soon as I got out of my comfort zone and really started digging in - it became a lot of fun for me. It takes a little work to find a rhythm in Open PVP, but it's worth it - and just when you think everything is rainbows and unicorns... BAM - you're getting PK'd or robbed - and that's exciting!

I'd like to see factions and I think NPC guards would bring some much needed balance to the folks playing anti-virtue roles... but that's about it. Open PVP is a set of tools - not a set of rules.

Stundorn and E n v y like this.
  9. Drocis the Devious

I don't know what this means.

You don't think people were PK'd and robbed in UO? They didn't have teleportation through walls either.

Stundorn likes this.
  10. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Because there's nothing to fix. It's not bugged.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Meteor Swarm, Earthquake, Fire Fields, Poison Field, Blade Spirits, Vengeful Spirit.........

Oh I forgot....you didn't play UO did you.....you would have no idea what PvP was like or what I speak of. Sorry.

12. Drocis the Devious

We've already been through this. It's bugged per Portalarium.

Womby, Numa and Stundorn like this.
  13. Drocis the Devious

Which one of those are teleport spells again? It appears to be ZERO.

I did play UO, but it was for a very short period of time. I did kill people, I did get killed by people. I did steal and get stolen from. So I do have some first hand experience of what PVP was like. Don't be sorry about that, I'm not.

Perhaps you could stop trying to make that a litmus test though. Especially when you're giving me examples that don't meet the criteria of the argument we're having.

Stundorn likes this.
  14. Drocis the Devious

@E n v y @Duke Avery

Let me ask you this, why is it so difficult for you to imagine a world where I can be in a pvp zone, inside my own home, and you're blocked from entering that home? If you guys want to be repeatedly attacked in your own homes, why not just unlock the door and put a welcome mat out? Why is it that I'm not allowed to have a locked door that actually works? Do tell.

Womby, Numa, Stundorn and 1 other person like this.
  15. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Don't care - it's not bugged. If they nerf a teleport skill because it teleports.... well, don't be mad about what happens to every other skill because reasons. Also, if you don't want to be attacked in an Open PVP scene... leave. Then when you're ready to step up - come back with some friends - take back your town.

16. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Well it does really...ive just given you a whole list of examples of how you can die in your house and where your precious wall don't protect you. But hey if you want to live in a PvP town with zero risk the I guess your welcome to it. Im quite sure PvPers will find more interesting places to go.

17. Drocis the Devious

I didn't say I didn't want to be attacked in a pvp town, I said I didn't want to be attacked in my home. There's a difference, I own the home.

I don't get to tell people that they have to lock their doors in their homes. I don't get to tell people what furniture to decorate with. Why would I tell them they have to be attacked? It's their home.

Stundorn and Fister Magee like this.
  18. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Closing thread, you two can continue the debate via PM :).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.