"Legal" Unauthorized Lot Access

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Kinkara, Jan 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Numa

Numa Avatar

Lunar magic has a wealth of spells useful for thieves. Night vision which doesn't break stealth like a typical light source does. Shadow form and vanish in case Silent movement and Camouflage aren't good enough. Animal charm to deaggro mob watchdogs if Distract doesn't do it's job properly.

I'm omitting Nightstep since this is more of a combat PvP move and won't be useful for breakins very soon.

Not saying that the current set of physical thief skills and moves are enough- they aren't. They should be should be improved and enriched with the necessary supporting game mechanisms to give the player the full spectrum of the thief experience.

2. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Hopefully Port will clarify its stance on this, because player control of lots and POTs is something that affects the value of property. Whether it should be available or not, many people value the ability to restrict access to their property. As expensive as property can be, players deserve to have a clear expectation of what they can and can't do.

Also, I wish people would stop making the complaint that something infringes on their play style. If I decided that my play style was to be an arsonist, that wouldn't make it rational for Port to add the ability for me to burn other peoples' houses down so that my play style wouldn't be infringed upon. A play style is how you choose to play within the world you live. The world itself has no obligation to bend to whatever crazy thing you might want to do.

3. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

Agreed, and to put in perspective that only like 3 people actively thief on this server.

4. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

One Word again: consensual.

Lockpicking should just be working in PVP PoTs.
    If someone lockpicks my house and chest and steal something from me this is not consensual to me!

All Features about PvP need to be an option.
    If someone decided to be attackable, pickpocketable or his House, chest etc.. Lockpicked then he should be able to have that Option, if not everybody should always be able to be safe!!!

This is what consensual means!

PvP impairs others. This schould allways everybody choice if he want to be impaired or not = consensual.

If PvP has not enough participants then it's maybe about what pvp actually is and not that people are against pvp.
    Those who want it, do it.
    And they should play together like they want it.
    And the players who dont want it at all
    shouldnt be limited in anyway and choose to not partake on any pvp feature.
    Pvpers who can handle it will play further, but most i guess wont and cannot deal with consensual.

If i dont want it, it should be possible to go everywhere i want and not being attacked, pickpocked or my House and Chests lockpicked.

I know i'm lame and repeating my Statement everywhere, but when i read what some people want or trying and adressing to the devs i need to write what i think of.

5. Fizzlebang

Fizzlebang Avatar

It is consensual. You CANNOT be stolen from without being flagged. And, you cannot steal anything from someone's house if they have set restrictions on the stuff they place down (including chests, and including if it is in a PvP PoT)

You do not need to reiterate your point 1000 times. We know, no one is asking for there to be non-consenting PvP. Killing or thievery. :b Why is it the PvP threads are bombarded with people making the same concerns like this OVER and OVER? We. Know. The devs know. We are not trying to tread on your play style. You can PvE or roleplay your heart out. I am all for a diverse player base. But, please, stop trying to beat the proverbial dead horse. PvP, as far as consent is concerned, is FINE as is right now.

Kinkara likes this.
  6. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

The point was asked if he was actually allowed to enter a house even though the doors are locked.

The answer is No it was a "bug or exploit or loophole" (chose the answer you like) and the development team is going to address it.

No one is beating down a thief's play style if it is in the parameter of the game. This was not in intended parameters.

Answer was given by developers so . . . . .

Now what is going to get beaten down is not really a play style but a mindset - and that specific mindset is basically a "griefer". Players who grief; events, houses, other players . . . . are being banned from each and every location they are found in and they do not like it and when they find a "loophole" they do not report it, but as soon as someone complains about it they try and defend themselves by saying - it is in the game soooo . . . .

PvP and Stealing are part of this game both can be very fun and rewarding. Hopefully they work on them and flush them out so they are both fun and rewarding.

BUT I really think it should be an afterthought when the game is completed and not work it in to game development like they are but that is another issue.

Again this exact issue in question was found to be wrong and is or has been fixed.

Net, Stundorn, Numa and 1 other person like this.
  7. Numa

Numa Avatar

Weins, I fully agree you with on all your points except for the bolded passage above. It's going to be harder to change the PvE & PvP core balance after SOTA truly goes live. But as you said this is a topic for another thread.

Weins201 likes this.
  8. Womby

Womby Avatar

1. Originally, the lock function completely prevented access to a lot. No shortcuts across the lawn even. It worked.
    2. People complained because they wanted to take short cuts, so the function was modified to lock only the house. Unfortunately that was much harder to implement than simply locking the entire lot, and wasn't foolproof. The devs therefore felt that they had to provide a warning to home owners that the lock was not foolproof (despite their best attempts to make it so). To provide that warning they appended the following text:
    "but they may be able to find other ways in.".
    3. The above warning has been misinterpreted as condoning the use of methods to bypass the lock function. It isn't. It is simply a warning that the lock is not, despite the devs best efforts, perfect.

9. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

@Womby thanks for clarification.

@Fizzlebang I will riterate and complain 1 Million times and more.
    I want this Bugs fixed asap, to give pvp it's ruleset therefore no unintended use or abuse is possible and people who dont want to partake for sure needn't.

Acred likes this.
  10. John Markus

John Markus Avatar

It's more like "get on the lot" (would work only on a row lot, other lot types have large enough clearance that makes difficult to climb unless the lot owner placed their objects wrong).
    That being said, you are welcome to come to my home at Ardoris Loc: (245.7, 47.8, -317.2)

11. Kinkara

Kinkara Avatar

You would be surprised in the areas I can get to.

12. Kinkara

Kinkara Avatar

Your lot is unlocked, but I have already jumped to the top of your lighthouse, locked or not, I can get in your place :p

John Markus likes this.
  13. Kinkara

Kinkara Avatar

You are allowed to get into locked houses. Portalarium has it in black in white. And that's good enough for me.

John Markus likes this.
  14. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Why do you think so?

Net likes this.
  15. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

The warning hasn't been misinterpreted. It's written in very plain English - and it's not an under construction sign - it's a tool tip.

What I've head the devs say - they've talked about having someone break into a home - they've called everyone that's new to PVP a newb - they've talked about PVP and sheep and wolves. What I've seen happen is people that don't even PVP, or people that only flag on the fly when entering PVP scenes - they go bat **** crazy and spin and lawyer things until the games turns upside down on itself.

I'm an advocate for the thieves here, not because I condone being a thief - but because they're operating within the boundaries of what can be reasonably considered fair play. So what if they're disruptive - it's a game and that's part of their play style and it's allowable and possible by design. And, it gives the game some much needed depth and throws interesting, and oftentimes complex challenges into an otherwise uneventful grindy time. It's one thing for people to have opinions and make suggestions and post bug reports - but there are too many blowhards on this board screaming exploit every time an anti-virtue playstyle doesn't suit them. Then they build straw man arguments here in the forums and get the moderators all worked up and everything just becomes not fun. This is supposed to be a sandbox.

I can appreciate you wanting to speak for the developers here - but until an actual game developer comes out and says ... yeah, we don't like people playing anti-virtue roles in a 100% consensual Open PVP environment - I'm just going to march on like this is the game they're advertising on the front page, a sandbox MMO.

Tracker and Fizzlebang like this.
  16. Kinkara

Kinkara Avatar

It has nothing to do with what i THINK. lol, check there first page of this article, Duke Avery already has the picture posted where it says there are other ways around a locked lot.

17. Kinkara

Kinkara Avatar

That statement most certainly does not need to be changed. You just don't like it that your not "safe" when PvP flagged.. I find it a Clever Use of Game Mechanics.

Fizzlebang likes this.
  18. Fizzlebang

Fizzlebang Avatar

"Safe" whilst flagged?

[​IMG]

Silly peeps.

19. Insinious FizzleThorpe

Insinious FizzleThorpe Avatar

Well Nightstep should NOT take you to any place you can not freely walk. So by changing elevation and passing a wall id say bug, being exploited..

Stundorn, Net and Womby like this.
  20. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Even though it's listed as a teleport?
    If it shouldn't take you to the other side of a mob, or across water, or to the other side of a tree, or through a wall, or to a ledge... If this skill is not working as it was designed (teleport) - it should probably just be removed from the game and replaced with something doesn't teleport.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.