Map of New Britannia

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by Count Napoli, Oct 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Count Napoli

Count Napoli Avatar

I've created a map of our new world by addingsome of the locations mentioned in the story reveals that have been released lately. You can take these locations with a grain of salt, because everyone will have their own interpretion on the location due to such limited descriptions, but I'll move these locations around as things become more clear. Until then, just think of these locations as place holders. :)

[​IMG]

cs2501x, RelExpo, OrionSnake and 18 others like this.
  2. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Air Ferry? is like a moongate? but you fly somewhere? Novia looks like a nice pirate cove!

3. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

I'd love to see the actual game map. Hopefully they will show a picture of it sometime soon.

LoneStranger likes this.
  4. Kilhwch

Kilhwch Avatar

Hey, nice map. Couple thoughts:

• I feel from the update that Novia refers to the entire continent, not just the Forsaken Vale in the southwest.
    • The icons without a stroke around the edge tend to bleed into the background, making them look less clean.
    • A lot of the text is difficult to read with the different fonts, you might want to use something more uniform.
    • The map on the stratics site is much higher-res and more easily discernable. You may want to use that for your base.
    • Blackblade Pass I believe might have a structure associated with it; It might be at Lat -25, Long 43; or maybe it's at Lat 21, Long 48
    • The Bay of Storms doesn't seem like it would be in the northeast where so much traffic between the cities would occur. Maybe it's that rocky inlet on the east side of the map?

Knoxinn and Venger like this.
  5. Count Napoli

Count Napoli Avatar

Air Ferry's haven't been spoken of yet. They were just drawn on Garriott's original hexegon prototype map.

6. Count Napoli

Count Napoli Avatar

I did do a map with res as high as the one you linked. If you notice I also included rivers from a 3D digital relief that the Portalarium crew had worked on. they didn't sync up 100%. Anyhow, the only way to get both the rivers and land map to show was to lay one over the other and make one of them opaque. In this case the opague layer was the River and Mountains relief map.
    • Yeah, Novia is a crap shoot at the moment, but you thought is logged here for future updates.
    • I put Blackblade Pass where the road cuts between two mountain ranges so again it was another crap shoot in placement.
    • I put the Bay of Storms in the NE bay only because the water route that the artist drew got very jagged as if it were treacherous waters that needed to be manuvered in. I could be reading into something that never was intended.
    Thanks for your tips. I"ll consider all of them in the next update.

Deathblow and Kilhwch like this.
  7. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Some of my notes:
    • I agree that Novia is most likely the entire continent, and New Britannia could refer to the entire 3x3 grid that was mentioned. The continent we know would appear to be in the northern hemisphere, based on the coordinates on the side of the map. This would mean that at least one map would be on the north pole.
    • It's also possible that the entire continent is Novia, but New Britannia is just the area around the main castle. When Sosaria suffered it's cataclysm after Exodus' defeat, the city-states fought until they were united by British, and the land became New Britannia. From this perspective, the land would have been Sosaria, and the kingdom named Britannia. New Britannia could just reference the area British has some sort of control over, since it seems like his reach isn't as far as the entire continent.
    • Blackblade Pass is either one of those two locations, or perhaps the one in the center of the map, about -8, 42.
    • The Bay of Storms is more likely the bay on the southwest part of the map, and Elysium is the island.
    • A vale is a valley, so I would expect the Forsaken Vale to be tucked between mountains, and likely small. -20,50 could fit that.
    • One possibility is that some of these locations mentioned are not locations on this map, but new lands we haven't seen yet, part of that 3x3 grid.
    It's also possible that what we are reading is not reflected in this original map. Stephen has been doing map work over the past week or so. I hope the changes get approved and we get a reveal soon, and hopefully at the same time we get the first chapters of the setup novel.

8. Count Napoli

Count Napoli Avatar

• In the original hexagon map it had New Britannia West and New Britannia East labled at the top corners. This is why I think New Britannia is the name of the continent.
    • I believe it stated that Blackblade was in the Southwest. The only pass in the Southwest is where I placed. I'm not saying that I'm right, but was just going by the description given.
    • The thought a "vale" as another name for valley struck me after I was done so I agree that Forsaken Vale should be moved into the mountains. I only put it in the forest since that is where I thought elves are usually found.

9. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I know there were mentions of Richard and Tracy changing things on the map as they came up with story. I would lean toward NBW and NBE being out of date, but so could be everything on the map.

The paragraph that mentions Blackblade does mention southwest. Your placement is logical.

As far as elves being what we know from other sources, the lore says they were created from the Cataclysm. This could mean that the warping of magic due to the moon collision created them out of nothing, or it could be that they are humans who were separated from the main group and evolved differently, either naturally (though 400 years is short for that) or via magic.

10. Kilhwch

Kilhwch Avatar

[​IMG]

11. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

He's really talking about Bobbits.

discipleofweb likes this.
  12. smack

smack Avatar

Snippet from this post in the Video Transcriptions thread.

Video: Shroud of the Avatar Story Hour with Richard and Tracy
    21030530 - April 30, 2013

GD:
    I love that you guys are teases. Our next question comes from True Nomad. He wants to know the name of this new world we will be partaking in is called.

RG:
    You know, it's funny he should ask that today because today is the day I'm willing to give the answer. And I've struggled with the answer to that question for a long time and you may be underwhelmed by the profoundness of the answer because it's so obvious, direct, it's appropriate I would say. I debated on whether we needed to come up with a completely new name for a completely new world, but I think that New Britannia is really the way it needs to be and must be.
    And so New Britannia is the name of the larger world that you will see over time. That is not the name of the continent, in particular the islands and continent that you start play on. Which is still something that we're not as quite settled with. But I really think it has to be New Britannia. I think you know if it's a world founded by Lord British, that the world being called New Britannia is a must.

While not explicitly stated, I'll say that Novia is indeed the name of the entire continent for Episode 1.

Also, you're missing place names like Valhold, Estgard, Harvest, Fortis, Ankaria, Celestis, etc. Those are also mentioned in the linked post.

13. Count Napoli

Count Napoli Avatar

Thanks for much for the transcript smack. Going off my memory didn't the lore state that Novia was a large island? Reading the trasnscript it looks like the largest land area is a continent and not an island so it seems to rule out Novia as being the name of the largest land mass. This make me think that Elysium is the name of the continent. Wasn't Elysium located at the Bay of Storms?

I'll get around to adding the other names just as long as I can find a place that seems...dare I say logical? :)

14. smack

smack Avatar

Yeah you could be right. There's another transcript that will be up soon and those have a few more place names I think.

I'm going to bug Richard about posting the new map. It's been waaaaay too long!

15. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

It's coming. Soon TM.*

(*according to a pm between myself and FireLotus.)

16. Kilhwch

Kilhwch Avatar

Well, LAH-DEE-DAH, Mr. Fancypants.

17. smack

smack Avatar

Ahh, yes. Soonday, the mythical 8th day of the week.

Turquois likes this.
  18. Leom_Tanith

Leom_Tanith Avatar

Sorry had to post this. It was the most logical thing to do.

1:10 GO BILBO!

19. Count Napoli

Count Napoli Avatar

Smack, I'm curious where you go these names from? I read the mention of the Celestic Compact in the previous reveal, but where are you gettin the names Valhold, Estgard, Harvest, Fortis and Ankaria? Can you give me a link?

20. smack

smack Avatar

Sure, it was in my transcription of one of the videos which is posted here. You should be able to see references to those placenames. Search for those on that post. Oh, North Palandris was another one mentioned, there may be others sprinkled throughout that post.

Count Napoli likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.