1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Reselling renamed items to scam other players

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Berek, Sep 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MIdnightvalkyrie

MIdnightvalkyrie Avatar

I visited the public vendor in Kingsport today. One person there is selling small bags (I know because I hovered over them) named as "Keys", "Key bag" and "Reagents". I haven't reported it because I am unsure if this is allowed or not (I personally think the "Reagents" one is close to a scam but am on the fence about the others).
    Some clarification would be appreciated.

Also, if Port is going to come down so hard on these things - why not just disable the ability to rename crafted items? (I am sure there is a reason, it just escapes my newbie senses and I would love to be enlightened).

Time Lord likes this.
  2. SpotD

SpotD Avatar

The option to rename containers is v.v.useful as I mentioned in a previous post. If they cannot be renamed they become all-but-useless as an inventory item...to me anyway...and small bags cannot be placed in a house, unlike sacks and chests. If like me, you have lots of bits to organise then loosing this option because new players make mistakes is not good. Other options may be needed. You cannot prevent there being a learning curve for neubs. Learning that you cannot sell containers with contents is part of the curve.

smack and Time Lord like this.
  3. SpotD

SpotD Avatar

They have changed the colour on the 'small bag' icons for the Artisan Tool Reward, and such, to avoid obvious confusion.....but players can still claim they are confused..and then you open up a whole new option to those who choose the 'Path of Grief'.....

P.S - I did not check if they had removed the 'dye-able item' flag from small bags.....

smack, Time Lord and Vallo like this.
  4. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

Glad to see Lady @Kaydrah cleared of all charges! Now Bastion's Point will not have to secede from Novia and start a civil war in defense of her honor... Though that could have been fun too.

5. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I'm not baited that easily, sorry. Nice try though.

6. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

This is something I would not like to see, my questions were merely that, questions that arose in my head and things I've seen :) I like the idea of roleplay items, or even renamed bags for a good use like keys :) But I personally do not know if you can sell bags with things inside, or if containers with items in are prevented from being sold on the vendor? Either way, I am trying to ensure you and others that name their objects don't find themselves under the ban hammer! :)

I think all nameable items need to be able to be reset, and why they can't from day one, I do not know. @Berek Why can't we reset any named object to it's original name already (and original item name color)??? Derp.

7. Curt

Curt Avatar

Containers placed at a vendor should revert to original name
    And if is supposed to be able to sell containers with items in you need to be able to see the items before buying

Dame Lori, rild, smack and 3 others like this.
  8. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

This is worthy idea we'll take into consideration. We've already taken steps to make items more clear on their source.

For now, just use common sense and if there's any concerns, contact us. We are happy to clarify if there's any concern of an item being renamed, resold, and for prices that may be way out of line in an exploitative/scamming manner.

Baalice, Themo Lock, rild and 3 others like this.
  9. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Still it is to vaguely.. you can just justify a ban for too many reasons.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Mitara

Mitara Avatar

Sorry, I was just trying to understand what you were saying. Apparently you didnt really mean any of it, and thats ok.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

This may be the best option here.

Baalice, smack and Time Lord like this.
  12. SpotD

SpotD Avatar

From a crafter/vendor/player convenience point of view....

.....this is a great idea. Only if a buyer can see all contents before buying. I can see a good market for Small Bag Full of Reagents.

13. MIdnightvalkyrie

MIdnightvalkyrie Avatar

Yes, I see your point - I knew I was missing something :oops:

14. rild

rild Avatar

+1

Alexander likes this.
  15. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

So now players want to be saved from themselves.

[​IMG]

It's getting to be too embarrassing to admit I play MMOs these days.

Ember, Blake Blackstone, Bom and 2 others like this.
  16. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

The reason this was a option was to rename items to help you out,as in renaming chest that you have seeds and water in, or all your RP clothes. The other reason is because people not only copy, but publish original book and sell them. So there is a purpose for it,but no one thought at the time scammers would take advantage of the system. :eek:

@Berek my thoughts are giving a cute name to a tamed animal should be OK, obviously it is on a crafted item. And obviously book names have to be allowed. Outside of these two things everything should revert to it's original name at the time of crafting when it is sold on a public or commission free vendor. This fixes everything imo Sir

monkeysmack and zyxe like this.
  17. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

:rolleyes:

Baalice and Mitara like this.
  18. SpotD

SpotD Avatar

It is ok.....I fixed it.....

[​IMG]

EtherBunny, smack, Ronan and 7 others like this.
  19. Lace

Lace Avatar

I am a bit late in posting to this thread but I did do a video in my playlist last Monday about these things and as I hear about issues I will try to include them. I heard about the exploits on friday and it wasnt until the following monday I had time to do the video.

However one thing I noticed that came out of Berek's post and something I had not STRONGLY said is blame the seller not the maker's mark. I have added an addendum to my video about this very thing. I did point out the maker's mark to spot fakes .. just needed to be clearer on where to place blame, and have adjusted the text for this for brand new players.

I also beg forgiveness I was 3 sheets to the wind when I shot this LOL.

Ember, Berek, Fister Magee and 2 others like this.
  20. Alcedes

Alcedes Avatar

I was just scammed by a dev and I DEMAND disciplinary action be taken against whichever dev is responsible!

Own it!

@Chris , @Attenwood , @DarkStarr

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.