1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Reselling renamed items to scam other players

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Berek, Sep 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baalice

Baalice Avatar

I love it, still laughing over here every time I see the banana icon. Thanks.

I guess as long as they didn't rename it the Royal Founder's Corn of GM Taming they're good.
    (kidding, kidding!) :p

Acred, zyxe and Bom like this.
  2. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Didn't you get the memo that Novian corn has been GMO'd and evolving over millions of years?

Acred, zyxe, Spoon and 4 others like this.
  3. Bom

Bom Avatar

@Berek @DarkStarr

This is the very problem of trying to police player transactions; what people consider a 'scam' is subjective.

Once the developers put their foot in the door of policing player trades it keeps that door open for all kinds of subjective 'scams' to occur and requests for support related to them. I think the best policy with regard to player trades is buyer beware; players should be responsible for checking the details of their own purchases and trades before buying.

Yes, that even means players going to the terrible trouble of hovering over the details of an item before buying. There's no need to waste development time color-coding things, reverting titles, posting warnings, banning players, or overall trying to plug holes in an ever leaking dam.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  4. zyxe

zyxe Avatar

I think Portalarium has made it fairly clear what they are defining as a scam. And while some initial mistakes (bans to creators of items instead of sellers, which was publicly admitted and apologized for) were made with the reported scamming in the very beginning, I have no reason to doubt that the staff has learned from this and that they will actually look into the allegations first and not just outright ban anyone because one person reported a seller.

Basically, I don't think us players have (or even should have!) the power to simply report someone and have them be banned outright. If this is true, then there's no huge need to worry about players making erroneous scam claims and affecting players who aren't really doing anything wrong.

Kara Brae likes this.
  5. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

^^^ This x 1000

6. Yipp

Yipp Avatar

First I want to thank along with all the others that have already done so, @Berek and the staff at Portalarium for clearing the name of the crafters who were falsely accused in these scams. The developers prompt actions, specific apology have proven that they are responsive to players in need to assistance.

Thank you very very much, your community is grateful.

Now to all those making the false argument about the developers getting involved in a situation like this is troubling in a sandbox game and buyer beware should be the rule, to me it sounds like shameful trolling.

Portalarium is a company run by developers with a vision about their game. They have a responsibility to their company to protect it and to their vision to respect it.

Neither responsibility allows them to turn a blind-eye to one player scamming another.

There is a big difference between a player making a "bad deal" and another of a player using an in-game feature in a way the developers never intended to ruin the experience of other players. Some of you have said it is the players responsibility to "hover over the details of a item before buying it" so that they know what they are buying. 100% agree, however that is not what we are discussing here at all. We are discussing a player trying to deceive another player in a way to make an item appear genuine to another item taking advantage of systems implemented in a way developers working very hard to bring out new content every day, never intended.

The developers are making it quite clear, in THIS game that they are making around THEIR vision, they do not want players to act in this specific way.

Now we/you have a choice you can force the developers to stop all content and spend the time being certain a small minority of players using exploits and deceptive measures outside the vision of the developers are kept ahead of while they go back and correct these types of issues, which the developers do not want in their game, or we as players can respect their vision and take some responsibility for not using systems in unintended ways.

There is no difference in using a renaming of a bag to deceive another player and standing on a cliff nuking a mob with ranged spells taking advantage of pathing problems, they are both issues that the developers will fix in time because they are not intended and they are both exploits. Those that have a different view are just plain being unfair to the developers and to the vast majority of reasonable and honest players of Shroud of The Avatar.

I am calling on all players to take some responsibility for playing a game in early development "Alpha" and show respect for the developers and your fellow community members. Seems to me that should not even need to be asked for....

Thank you

7. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

We are doing what we can! It is all for the betterment of the community.

Yes, we have made it quite clear in fact. If you can't tell the difference between a real scam of bag renaming and resale for a higher rate because the title tied to something directly of much higher value, and a banana that should be a corn icon, then I don't know what to say.

No player can report someone and get them banned outright. We review every case and evaluate on a case-by-case basis. Only a few bans have been handed out anyway, so this isn't some sort of epidemic, no worries there.

8. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Could be a rare.

Acred likes this.
  9. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

Thank you for not taking the babysitting route. that's the last thing this game needs.

Blake Blackstone likes this.
  10. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

11. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

I disagree, whoever is trying to pawn off corn as bananas and vice versa needs swift action taken against them. Gold is hard to come by and if someone was trying to make a large batch of banana bread but got corn instead, it could disrupt their fun. As a community, we have to police any and all situations such as these.

Keep up the good work Berek! Keep those bans coming!

Vallo and High Baron O`Sullivan like this.
  12. zyxe

zyxe Avatar

This made me giggle :p

Thanks for being upfront about all of this, too :)

13. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

rofl

Blake Blackstone and zyxe like this.
  14. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

If someone can't tell the difference to a named item (now named in a red kind of colour) compared to the real name of the item in the tool top......how the hell are they going to tell the difference between corn and a banana?

Also worth noting that mistakes do happen......people do click to fast and that is how mistakes (*cough bans*) happen. It's always worth reading the information properly and make a decision.

Blake Blackstone and DepGames like this.
  15. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

Pro Tip: Hover over an item before buying.

I certainly hope you don't buy things in RL sight unseen.

16. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

A reminder that we have also taken steps to clarify important items as well. I think the community is quite pleased with the highlights we've given some of these items?

Kara Brae, Fister Magee and zyxe like this.
  17. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

That diminishing community?

Oh well

18. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Well somehow this all applies to buying this game which we all did... ^^

19. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

Pleased. Not sure what's so hard about it.

Don't buy items that have been renamed. I really can't think of an important reason why someone would NEED to rename an item anyway.

20. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Yes, the orange is a really good step. I think thats kinda what we are saying. If you still fall for a scam by a character named Goobie Gooberson on an item that is in orange, its kinda like not knowing the difference between the corn and banana "then I dont know what to say". Less bans, or threats thereof, more personal responsibility.

E n v y likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.