Why full loot? -- (Dev) Replied

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by PrimeRib, Apr 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I think not having special things detract from a game that is more player driven instead of purely combat driven. I want neat things, I want it to feel fantasy like. I think you should care about belongings, since they as well your character itself should defines you. I want to find that awesome artifact that I worked hard for...I want to be able to craft an amazing sword and use it.

2. ND3G

ND3G Avatar

There are literally an endless supply of fantasy games where you can collect all sorts of interesting and rare items. UO isn't one of them and I don't think SotA should be either. Not because I don't like unique gear but because it destroys the PvP aspects of the game. If you can't loot a character there is really no motivation for killing them and if you can't lose anything than you have no reason to care if you do get killed.

If SotA turns into yet another collection game like Everquest or WoW than you can count me out.

3. Lanatir

Lanatir Avatar

If you can?t loot a character there is really no motivation for killing them and if you can?t lose anything than you have no reason to care if you do get killed.

Well, i might be wrong, but isnt it true that pvpers say that its the thrill of overcoming another player, a 'non-ai' player that is what makes pvp meaningfull?
    Now its the full loot option? Elaborate to me, what exactly IS it now?

4. Ultima Aficionado

Ultima Aficionado Avatar

@Lanatir:

It has been explained SEVERAL times. LOOT adds the element of risk, provides incentive to PK's, and creates an aspect similar to "gambling." It is fun and exciting, if you do not want to take part in it then that's fine. Again, this has been stated SEVERAL times.

5. Lanatir

Lanatir Avatar

cool down. im just trying to make sense of it, because on one side people say : pvp is exciting because i fight other players, not the AI. And then he says: pvp is boring if i cant steal all the stuff afterwards. I just try to understand what it is now.

6. Ultima Aficionado

Ultima Aficionado Avatar

@Lanatir:

Right, I'd just prefer that you read previous posts before asking questions that have already been addressed.

7. Ultima Aficionado

Ultima Aficionado Avatar

@Lanatir:

Right, I'd just prefer that you read previous posts before asking questions that have already been addressed.

8. Lanatir

Lanatir Avatar

so, do i understand it correctly now that there is 2 factions among the pvp players, one that think the thrill of pvp is what makes pvp exciting, and another group that thinks that its not exciting unless you will be able to full loot? So how about you introduce an option to activate where only people can loot people that also have the option enabled to be looted themselves?

9. Ultima Aficionado

Ultima Aficionado Avatar

No thanks, I think anyone who PVP's should be exposed to the risk of it.

10. ND3G

ND3G Avatar

Different people have different motivations for partaking in PvP. All I can tell you is that it worked extremely well in UO and has been a complete failure in virtually every game since. Portalarium is putting in safeguards to protect those who are not interested in getting thrown into the thick of things. It is a win win but only if full loot is implemented. If not, then I have no interest in the online portion. I'll play the single player portion, finish it, shelve it and move on.

11. ND3G

ND3G Avatar

"So how about you introduce an option to activate where only people can loot people that also have the option enabled to be looted themselves?"

I think that is a fantastic idea! I have said as much numerous times. But further to that, I do not want to interact with or even see other players in-game that do not have full loot PvP implemented. As far as my experience is concerned people playing under different settings basically will not exist.

12. Lanatir

Lanatir Avatar

the only problem i see with that is that it basically divides the game into three subsets. the pvers who cant see the pvpers, and the pvpers who cant see the pvers, and then the subgroup of full looters. might get a tiny bit ...empty for at least one of the 2 pvp groups.

13. ND3G

ND3G Avatar

The game is going to be divided any ways. With selective multiplayer you are only ever going to see a handful of people at any given time any ways.

Also, SotA can be played solo or with AI companions if need be. I don't really care how full or empty the world feels, I only care that those interactions I have with other players are exciting and meaningful.

14. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

So you don't want interesting and fun loot because it will ruin pvp?

15. ND3G

ND3G Avatar

Loot can be an fun and interesting as Portalarium wants to make it so long as players lose it when they die. If full loot is missing than that will ruin pvp.

16. Ultima Aficionado

Ultima Aficionado Avatar

@Rune:

Full loot is interesting and fun, not sure what you're talking about. Do you have a better idea?

17. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I already gave it...have some kit protected, like what your wearing. And have bags that have access. Works for me.

18. Ultima Aficionado

Ultima Aficionado Avatar

@Rune:

I think that eliminates all possibility of risk, but with the slider option set to full loot you don't have to worry about it at all (assuming all of PVP isn't full loot).

19. ND3G

ND3G Avatar

@Rune

It would have to be the opposite. You have a bag with a few items such as your spell book, runes, keys, etc are protected but your armor, weapons, reagents and gold are lootable.

Btw you have brought up that very suggestion at least 3 or 4 times already and it hasn't become any more acceptable with age.

20. rschultzy80

rschultzy80 Avatar

@Lanatir "one that think the thrill of pvp is what makes pvp exciting, and another group that thinks that its not exciting unless you will be able to full loot"

Mutually exclusive propositions. Open Full-loot PvP is fun and exciting BECAUSE you can lose all your stuff. It's the risk, the danger, the feeling that even though "I'm just out here farming gold, I can lose it all." -Also why no intelligent player walks around in his best gear all day

I remember always taking my tamer and dragons into the fire dungeon level 2 to farm daemons and people would always try to grief me just to kill my dragons. You had to be ready, you couldn't fight mobs and leave yourself below half life or someone would just come by and kill you. I don't need my hand held while playing a video game.

Many of us are elitist in gaming. We like FF, we like skill and reaction time being a part of what makes you a good gamer. No programmer can make PvE as exciting and challenging as PvP. Personally, if I'm in a dungeon killing dragons and you want to come stab me in the back. It's my fault for not being prepared. If I choose to go after the rewards of looting a dragon's lair then I have to be willing to take the risks involved. I have to know, I'm going after the fabled dragon's horde, maybe someone else wants that treasure, maybe they'll kill me to get it. That's life, only thing I can do as an intelligent human being is be aware of my surroundings and play smart.

Insured and Bonded gear is not only absurdly unrealistic, it's boring and kills the crafting economy. Who is making new weapons and armor if you never lose yours when you die?

Why are so many people clamoring for the same old boring game that's been produced a thousand different times? New content? So you can sit there blindly spamming the same AoE spell while you're never in danger and watching tv? Because that's the game you're asking for and it's already made.

What's exciting about a game in which you can't lose anything? What's exciting when you have no penalty when you die? Honestly, when it comes down to it, I just feel sorry for most of you. UO was great because the emotional draw the game created. The friendships were real, the danger was real, and the enemy was truly hated.

If you haven't tried it other than getting ganked and griefing yourself by running to your camped body over and over then you'll never understand what full-loot PvP is about. The idea some of this community seems to share that open full-loot PvP is only about murdering and griefing goes well beyond ignorance.

minorthreat55 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.