Nurf Chain Lightning Part: 3

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 2112Starman, Aug 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

56/158/95/87

PvP against chain lightning with multiple stuns and immediate death before I can get to the player...

I guess Im kinda done even trying to PvP since everyone is playing a chain lightning mage.

No real purpose to it, think Ill post here every day until the devs actually so something about it.

even when Im nearing GM deflection.

This is how bad CL is, I got killed by it in the stands with 500 hp while I was massively healing myself.

Spinok, Acred, KuBaTRiZeS and 4 others like this.
  2. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

(rushes to the other side of the argument)
    While I respect and acknowledge what you say, have a care for the poor "casual" players amongst us, who are SLOOOWLY grinding up, and can only dream of such feats. I have only just unlocked lightning, and in the previous release never got chain lightning anywhere near that high. For PVE, I need all the help I can get!
    I would SO love to be able to bring down a troll or similar boss with awesome lightning skills.
    Maybe in a year or so:rolleyes:o_O

Quenton, FrostII, Elwyn and 7 others like this.
  3. Couldin

Couldin Avatar

I've said it before. The entire air tree needs to be reworked. Having fewer glyphs in a deck is very important and there's NO other tree that has three spells that do damage, cast relatively quick AND stun. This means you can use one or two of them for everything and need less glyphs in your deck. Earthquake is the ONLY other spell that does damage and has a chance to stun (and it was nerfed yesterday). Except with earthquake to get big damage it requires stacking it and then a cast time about twice as long as any air spell only to have less of a chance to stun. There's no other magic tree with these types of spells. There's some with CC spells, but in PvP one jump and you're out of them, and they don't do damage along with the CC. That means you need to put more glyphs in your deck to do the same thing air spells can do without added glyphs.

I have no idea why air was made so much better than the rest to start with. On top of that it seems a bunch of other stuff has been nerfed along the way, while air has only had it fixed because it was stunning 100% of the time and not being effected by the Crowd Control buff you get when getting hit with a crowd control spell.

Edit: forgot to mention the range you get with lightning and chain lightning too, which you do not get with earthquake.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  4. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

LoL the PvP template of the day, this will go on for years, as one will wlays float to the top for one reasonor another.

But yes it is sad that even after the same thing happened in R31 and was coverd in R30 that it still is let go as is :-(

5. Couldin

Couldin Avatar

This isn't "of the day" and "PvP only". It's been like this for many months now. It effects PvE just the same as PvP. You can stun lock stuff and get disrupted far less while casting the spells that do big damage. It's, by far, the best magic tree for any type of combat.

6. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Believe me, chain lighting does not make my character any less likely to die than any other spell in the game. No more magic nerfs please...us poor mages are in cloth and have to either kill fast or be killed.

Elwyn, Acred, Montaigne and 3 others like this.
  7. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Obviously the solution is to boost scissors (archers).
    Then ofc, we'll need to fix tanks.

8. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Deflection isn't going to help you against air stun. You need Well Grounded and Hard Headed for that.

9. Couldin

Couldin Avatar

It makes everything much easier to kill. There's not really a debate about that. You do a lot of damage and stun things from a distance with one spell. If you can find another one that does that let me know.

Acred likes this.
  10. Couldin

Couldin Avatar

Also, an option I'm a fan of, is not to nerf air, but bring the other trees up to par with air. The path Portalarium has been on is to just nerf everything when they don't like it, but at some point a look at everything should be done and things should be brought together for balance. This constant nerf is getting old.

FrostII and Acred like this.
  11. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

i still die fast from hardened archers...so the stun isn't very effective. I actually do better damage with fire :)

Acred likes this.
  12. Couldin

Couldin Avatar

Use lightning and chain lightning. It's better than fire. FWIW I'm not even using air this release (I did before persistence). Air was much easier to spam and take stuff out with, it was almost always stunned if you use both lightning and chain lightning.

Acred likes this.
  13. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Fire is more damaging when stacked fist and arrow and fireball on mobs (immolation for excess attune)...very very effective...now I should keep my mouth shut or they will nerf that too...my mage has a hard time surviving with the constant being interrupted by everything...so when I do get a spell to cast, I don't want the damage to be minimal. Every time I see calls for nerfs I want to scream!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
    Rilman, Acred, Albus and 2 others like this.
  14. Couldin

Couldin Avatar

"This is how bad CL is, I got killed by it in the stands with 500 hp while I was massively healing myself."

Fire doesn't do that much damage, that quick, no matter how you stack it. You either don't have the air tree up very high or haven't tried it.

15. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I have high skills. 70 int, 70 fire fist, fire arrow, 60 fire ball, 70 highly flammable. Fire is not an instant damage spell, it is a mega damage once you get them burning spell. I have 40 chain, 50 lightning, and some dex...still a work in progress tho.

So comparing apples to oranges here, since fire damage is higher over time than lightning damage...but i'm not saying it's sufficient to survive without a number of deaths.

I will work my acrobatics up higher, and int will be GM one year :)

No need to get in a war about who knows more about what BTW.

Snikorts and Albus like this.
  16. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

Just to play devil's advocate, other than water, you need air to live. If anything, maybe water should be just as powerful and have just as much ability?

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  17. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Cl has been broken for ages now only chance is to max range them. But since u are dueling its kinda useless to level anything else.

in pve this has been exploited all the time. Just watch the ritter rosen stream recordings to see how broken the air skills are with perma stun. Diminishing returns need to be reworked.

18. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

It's super tough to balance this out I bet. Fire has the DoT, which Air does not. It is a bit of a tradeoff.

Oh, and what about resists to air?

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  19. Net

Net Avatar

I cannot wait to have air+fire combos.

Anyway stop nerfing things, the casting time is bad enough, with all the interupts it is hard to cast things in the first place. Also my mage is squishy and most archers do as much damage as I do, chain lightning aggros so many opponents I try to avoid it.

That being said all magic (and probably all skill trees) need rework to be balanced from lower levels to the top ones. I still think air should have instant cast rather than stuns. Stuns could be for air-water combos.

Oh and another thing about magic is it sucks with low Int and low attunement, but once your Int gets higher (especially with good gear) it is better and then as the attunement go up it becomes really powerful. Which imho encourages lot of grinding instead of tactics when to use which glyph.

FrostII, Rilman, Snikorts and 5 others like this.
  20. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Well being able to chain stun things makes no sense. Resists need to be reworked in pve and pvp. I agree you could buff others to make it more of an instagib fest.

Water has been nerfed.. earth... but air somehow still remains broken.

Net likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.