pvp vs not flagged

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Raistlyn, Feb 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

Flagged PVPers are up for a fight any time anywhere. . .what we aren't up for though, is being killed in one blow because it was convenient for a non-flagged for player to kill them, with no chance of retaliation or to defend themselves.

The people who do this sort of thing are saying basically, "we are not up for a fight at all, unless we can do it only when there is no risk for us at all." Which is pretty wack. .

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  2. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

Have you?

I see people projecting a fear of being greifed based on a mechanic they don't use or because they have seen griefing in other games. No real strong argument yet against this mechanic other than on paper someone could jump me and kill me once and run away and unflag. Does it happen? Probably the odd time. Is it an issue? Not at all.

Do you know how PvP works?
    By flagging you take the risk of being attacked. How is that hard to understand?

If you don't want to be interrupted during your pve farming, then don't farm pve while flagged for pvp.

If you want to strictly fight other people and not be surprised by sudden flags, play in a pvp zone.

By flagging and playing in a PvE zone, you assume the risk of being attacked, but get some bonus xp for it. Risk vs reward. You need the risk part for that concept to even begin to work.

Being able to jump flagged people is currently being used far more often to draw people into group fights in pve zones and have a little fun than it is to grief players with one kill and run away. People who actually PvP are saying this, and few people are actually getting griefed. This is a total non issue being blown way out proportion because someone got ganked once or twice and didn't like it.

Anyone flagged takes that risk, and should expect to die every now and then.

Stundorn and MrBlight like this.
  3. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

That is the risk you take of flagging in a pve zone though. That's the whole point. If you want to take advantage of farming with that flag on you better be paying attention to who is around you and be prepared to fight. That is the whole point of the flag, be prepared to fight.

MrBlight likes this.
  4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Yes. I'm familiar.

5. Drocis the Devious

Poor design.

Your idea of pvp does not match mine. Nor does it match the definition of meaningful pvp, which is what this game is supposed to provide.

Armar likes this.
  6. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

Not sure how you are unable to understand how it is unfair and frustrating that someone who is not a pvp player is always guaranteed the first blow on you . ..

7. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

Not at all the point I'm making, which is this mechanic encourages people not to flag and to unflag. Also not sure how having a discussion about it is "blowing it way out of proportion."

8. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I have no issue with the mechanism at all, in fact i'm glad to see it back.......adds a bit more flavour to the game.

Ristra and MrBlight like this.
  9. Drocis the Devious

I'm not just making up labels here. Killers are well documented by Bartle...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartle_taxonomy_of_player_types
    The problem with killers is not that they're killers. I'm a killer.

The problem with killers is that the mechanics need to be polished so that they don't allow Killers to drive all the other players out of the game.

For the best documentation on Killers, go here: http://mud.co.uk/richard/hcds.htm

Armar likes this.
  10. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

And i feel this is only an issue because if you wanted to be flagged for PVP you wouldnt have been in DR in the first place. Did you go to DR flagged to specifically fight people? Why were you in a vulnerable position with a bunch of liches on you?
    I blame the lack of PVP zones being .. well good.
    But this is a failure in other parts, not neccisarrily the mechanic in question.
    ( And yea 1 person being leaps and bounds past the rest is yet another issue, but a seperate one )

Where you state..
    ? Meaning YES you have had this happen IN SOTA? or are you just saying. Yes you have had this *griefing * ( Again thats perspective , personally i enjoy the fear of Blues jumping on me ) And are assuming things based on other games?

Disagree again!
    Guarenteed? No. Ive run PVP flagged solo and had a blue jump me so often.. and honestly, since im not an idiot, i simply pre stack and laugh, the second hes red.. its about 50/50 who gets the first hit off.

Note to PVE'ers in this thread.. if you are in combat mode stacking.. following a red player.. its a pretty mean give away.

Again. Generalizing. This is no different then me stating you want to hide in PVE while trashing another play style becasue you dont like the mechanics.
    VERY often are we alone grinding with the flag on, VERY often are we alone hunting other players. VERY often are we testing the PVP mechanics that are currently in play, to get a REAL, SOTA related fact based opinion on whats in play.

And this just ignored the.. rest of the posts.. Where i point out how it easily generates the majority of my PVP conflicts, with only a small percent of those actually being the run-out instantly, lame encounters. USUALLY this leads to group fighting, and *flash fighting* Which is the most fun PVP in SOTA currently. So i have given you multiple reasonings behind the current system. And with examples that happen all the time for us. Your choosing to ignore them.

E n v y likes this.
  11. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

Who here has argued that this is providing meaningful pvp? Again, you should read the people replying to you once in awhile, it's been specifically stated that the PVP here is NOT meaningful and we need better reasons to flag. Perhaps that is coming with the virtues and stuff but we will see.

This is not true if you flag in a pvp zone. If you flag in a pve zone you are assuming that risk, what risk is there to flagging in a pve zone if you get a notification or time to prepare yourself for every attack? That totally defeats the purpose.

It may encourage some people to flag, gank, and unflag, that's already been admitted. It also encourages people to flag to defend others, flag as groups, flag and fight and stay flagged..

Or is it rather that you want to be able to flag and take advantage of the bonus in pve zones without any risk at all?? How is that any better? You know how you get an even playing field? Go to a pvp zone!

MrBlight likes this.
  12. Drocis the Devious

Irrelevant.

13. Drocis the Devious

Well then we're in agreement.

14. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

Question to those so opposed to this mechanic, what's your alternative? To just not be able to flag anywhere other than an oracle... or what? I havn't seen many suggestions here.

I did see one good suggestion about having a time so that when you flag you stay flagged for x amount of time. That has it's own issues but it's a start.

15. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

If you don't want to talk about what actually happens in SOTA maybe you shouldn't post in the threads about whats happening in SOTA...

Thwip, E n v y and MrBlight like this.
  16. Drocis the Devious

It was on page 2.

17. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

I agree that more "good" hunting zones, including at least one or some "good" PvP zones would go a long way to help, i.e. give the player a different place to go to escape the opportunist or a place where they can escape this mechanic entirely (e.g. open PvP zone). I agree that mixed parties of PvP and non PvP are gimped and there should be an easy way for non flagged people to join into a party and PvP (I assume this is the argument you and others are making in favor of this mechanic). Thus my proposals earlier.

If the argument is "I should be able to take someone at a time of my choosing when they can do nothing about it and not risk anything in return (other than the very slight chance this player has support waiting and ready in the wings that the opportunist didn't spot when choosing their target)" - well, I'll still flag, but I find it discourages others per the OP and my story earlier.

18. Drocis the Devious

@Duke Avery

If you don't like my ideas, you're free to discuss it. If you want to personally attack me, that's against the forum rules.

I'm perfectly capable of making insults against other people too, the reason I don't do that is because I have self control and I want to keep posting in the forums.

19. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

In a pvp zone this whole conversation doesn't apply, in a pvp zone everyone is PVP already so in those zones it is balanced.
    I don't even care about the xp bonus I have been flagged for PVP since the game went persistent and will remain that way because I enjoy PVP. But I don't enjoy non-flagged players getting a PVP advantage over players who are actually in this game for the PVP.

20. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

Alternative to the mechanic I've suggested and will continue to suggest is that everyone must obtain their pvp flag the same way. Personally that would solve any issues I have with the current way things are. If that means going to the oracle then so be it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.