The basic rule of any great pvp (open-pvp scenes)

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Rada Torment, Dec 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

G'day avatars o/

Let's talk in this thread about ALL we want to see to make these open-pvp locations great in SotA.

I'm gonna start with the the basic rule of any good sandbox game, risk vs reward. We can find this in games like EVE, UO, Albion Online, MO, DFO.. etc. Well, as we all know SotA is not a big open sandbox pvp game, but we have open pvp maps. So lets focus these topic to only open-pvp scenes.

@Chris, @DarkStarr feel free to discuss or add anything you want about the topic please.

There are infinite options to make this a success;

- An small increase of rare mats from all gathering nodes.

- Add new named mobs with unique drop items *For example the molds for weapons/armors visual styles.

- Increase the COTO drop rate from mobs.

- Add new/special containers (chests, corpses, etc) randomly placed *Pick locks skill can be used for these high-level chests in the future.

- New quests inside open-pvp scenes with good rewards.

- Big resource locations focused for groups (group content).

- more and more..

As you all can see, there is no need to give us more xp. There are always more options, and most of them are more satisfying because the fun factor and the gameplay options. I'm fine with the xp bonus, but this should not be something "unique", maybe just an add within all these new things to make it even more fun, and interesting, to play.

Please add in this thread what you really want to see, or you think will be good for the game in the long term.

/wave,
    Rada Torment.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  2. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

Although I for one like your suggestions just fine... Look at all the whining about pvp flagged players getting a measly 10% bonus xp (which doesn't even typically offset time lost from fighting or avoiding other players)

I can only imagine the uproar on these forums if PvP players had access to anything exclusive like weapon and armor designs, or increased coto drops.

I wish you luck with this thread :)

Belgtor, Armar, blaquerogue and 2 others like this.
  3. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

I know you mean well. Putting alot of special rewards in PvP only areas will please some, but also piss off people who just don't want PvP.

Ganking people who don't want to PvP, but just go there for the rewards; isn't my idea of good fun either :) You bring up games like Eve Online, but it has a different crowd than this game. Plus the other games aren't really bigtime players either in the MMO world.

FrostII and Magnus Zarwaddim like this.
  4. Rada Torment

Thank you, but I'm really optimistic about the communty and devs.

We are not asking to make this "unique" for these maps. All those rare items (molds included) can be obtained in any pve adventure scene aswell, but we need a reward, because with a risk to lose your gear, there should be always a real reward.

Xp bonus isn't enough if we want keep the basic rule of any open-pvp game (maps in this case). And I know they know it, is something really old and a rule that always works.

iansmellios likes this.
  5. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Empire.Building.

We don't have to start with something like EvE nullsec.
    We could start with a scene. Put 4 fortresses inside that can be captured by guilds.
    Put mines or small forests or whatever into those fortress so the owner can gather ressources at accelerated speed while owning it.
    Make the fortress upgradable so crafters actually can have a valid part in PvP without fighting.
    Give it NPC guards so it can't be overrun. Maybe it must be sieged by siege engines for 48Hrs (random nunbers here, don't panic) before the walls crumble and you can attack it at all.
    Those siege engines will have to be build by crafters as well.
    The defender would have to destroy the engines if they want to keep their fortess.
    And so on.
    You know where this is going.

6. Ariella Shadowdancer

Ariella Shadowdancer Avatar

I think the add special drops in pvp areas could boost the economy if pvp'ers sell those drops on their vendors in an non pvp town and the ones who don't want to go into those pvp areas can at least purchase them.

iansmellios and Rada Torment like this.
  7. Earl Atogrim von Draken

I would agree and again say: do it like eve.
    Give the region imprtant and exclusive crafting material.
    But that will set the forum aflame ;-)
    So i will stick with: give us more silver (or whatever).

iansmellios and Rada Torment like this.
  8. Rada Torment

Indeed. We are not trying to make SotA a medieval fantasy EVE, or UO 2, but there is nothing wrong about learn and copy some of the best mechanics from those games.

Thanks for quick response from you guys.

9. Earl Atogrim von Draken

YOU are not trying that.
    I AM absolutley trying that ;-)
    Though i am willing to agree on a small solution like i described above without any exclusive stuff. We just don't have the community acceptance for that. And that's actually ok in my opinion.

Exactly. We have a saying here that roughly translates as: Better steal something good than inventing something new that sucks.

Belgtor, iansmellios and Stundorn like this.
  10. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

There is enough history to borrow from on what land based PVP activities people enjoy that a good Best Practices standard can be compiled

11. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Port could as well add a hand few of smaller camps with ressources through the map that are much easier to attack/harder to defend than the main fortresses.

nonaware likes this.
  12. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

You won't get, as already discussed, good risk v. reward in a limited PvP ruleset, such as in SotA; and people will be justified in getting upset that PvP players are getting special goodies for playing in the PvP zones that others don't want to play in.

I think it might be better to just look at mechanics and variations on the PvP theme. I think the split town is a good start. I could see siege mechanics being applied to PvP. And let's not forget PvP PoT's and possible future sieges therein.

People play baseball, football, whatever, because those mechanics are set and work and are popular. Do the same here with PvP mechanics, and it will in and of itself be its own reward, without segregating the population and rewarding PvP'ers with goodies.

Thwip and nonaware like this.
  13. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

i really really like this idea.

honestly i would love to see control points become pvp scenes. once the control point has been held for x amount of time and/or a boss was defeated it would go to a peace/ non pvp scene for a period of time allowing free safe travel through the passes.

with the open pvp ruins and shardfalls i would like to see a boss or a control point event that once it was run/ defeated special nodes would start to spawn that would be harvestable by everyone. and the people that ran the event/boss/ ect would get a buff for x time for only the party/group that defeated it give a boost to harvest of special nodes or something else worth while in relation.

14. Earl Atogrim von Draken

I am, and i will pretend now that i represent the majority of the PvP players still left, not willing to accept that.

Belgtor and Rada Torment like this.
  15. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

You won't accept, as a self-professed PvP representative, getting special PvP only rewards?

16. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

17. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

You are setting up a game of hunter and prey and asking people to choose sides. Almost no one enjoys being prey, so this system fails, even with all the incentives in the world, people will play the prey but they won't enjoy the role.

How is it that Pokemon Go can have a better PVP system than folks with decades of experience in MMO development between them?

18. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

i think that the trick to this would be to make it so that the pvp players would be the ones doing the heavy lifting killing each other and contesting things. then once the fighting is over the pve players or the lazy could move in and profit on thier blood shed :)

i am currently mostly a pve player btw. i didnt like the idea of a 20% buff just for pvp but i dont mind the 10% i dont mind pvp being rewarded for the risk they take but it has to be in moderation and i dont want to feel like i have to pvp.

19. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Quite the opposite ;-)
    I think they are needed but not in the form of XP or special goodies or whatnot.

I think more and more easy accessible ressources are the key.
    Let's stay with my idea for the moment.
    Let's say the fortress is a non PvP zone as long as the walls still hold.
    Every PvEr could go there and mine in calm, chop wood, build stuff, play gutsball, dance and whatever.
    So you wouldn't have to be in PvP to gain the advantages.
    You would have to be in the guild. But than again SotA likes to force the social aspect of the game so i don't see a problem there.

Rada Torment likes this.
  20. Earl Atogrim von Draken

PvP will always have a hunter vs. prey aspect.
    That's part of PvP. Nothing will eleminate that.

Belgtor and Rada Torment like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.