The basic rule of any great pvp (open-pvp scenes)

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Rada Torment, Dec 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Not really, outside of MMOs, Hunter and Prey isn't that common and when it is used, you typically switch roles from round to round, which isn't really possible in SOTA.

2. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Here's the thing. Rewarding open PvP is counter intuitive to where SotA should be going.

As a spiritual successor, SotA must have a moral system. How does open PvP fit into that? If I spot a player flagged I can attack them at any time. If I win I can loot them. That's not morally wrong in open PvP.

A system for PvP that incorporates a moral system should be getting the rewards.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  3. Soylent Green

Soylent Green Avatar

Has the idea been tossed around for equipment that gives PvP bonus? Part of the recipe system.
    With drops from PvP screens?

High decay rate so if you PvP all the time you go through a lot of it and need to buy from crafters.

Just trying to think of ways that the non PvP crowd would encourage goodwill towards PvP crowd. I would guess that the elite PvP crowd would rather buy stuff and spend more time killing people than they would gathering and crafting. Crafters would like to see increased demand.

My first concern as a person who only dabbles in PvP is that the elite crowd will gain advantage if I don't buy the gear too but the truth is the elite PvP crowd will squish me like a bug either way.

Rada Torment likes this.
  4. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Ah i see your point.
    But even CS is a hunter and prey game.
    It's connected to personal FPS skill of course but non the less...

Rada Torment likes this.
  5. Earl Atogrim von Draken

A lot of mmos tried it and it didn't work.
    WoW is the most prominent that did the roll back on pvp specific gear.
    Now every gear is valid in PvE and PvP again.

LoL. I guess that's true ^^

6. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Who talked about hunters and preys? I think you did not get the point of a game with limited pvp maps like sota. There are not preys in a place where you can decide if you want do pvp or not, if you go for that, you are a hunter, like any other player in the same map.

I always thought this was easy to understand after played so many MMOs since 97, but I see there are still some misunderstandings.

pd: I can't take it seriously you words about pvp and pokemon go tbh, with all my respect.

7. Earl Atogrim von Draken

I guess what he means is that people get drawn into PvP by the incentives. And some of those people usually don't pvp at all.
    Even if they decided willfully to enter it a lot of them won't know what they got into and are by that prey.
    And will ehh....whine on the forum like prey ^^

8. Rada Torment

I saw thousands of players in my EVE years playing their entire game life in High-sec. And they were happy! even with the risk of those suicide-ganks.

If someone won't participate in pvp, you can do it easily in sota, why so many complaints? I won't think this is something related with the selfishness of all those peoples trying to annihilate pvp from sota, but I really can't see the point of the complaints because we are just asking more rewards or gameplay options for all the pvp community.

9. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Let's not go down that road.
    You made such a good topic, let's not derail it.
    I agree with you but than again EvE started at a different time with a extremly different community.
    We will have to deal with what we have here if we want to salvage some good pvp from this mess.
    Part of that is to accept that we have a handful of hardcore PvEers that will feel left out with every positive change PvP gets.
    And we will have to accept that they will cry out loud about it on the forum.
    But that's no reason to force it.

Rada Torment likes this.
  10. Rada Torment

The funny part is that I'm not one of those hardcore pvpers ;). Maybe now some people can see my point. I can enjoy the pve in the same way as pvp, so imagine the vision of all those hardcore pvpers here waiting to see something more "deep" and rich.

I can go inside their minds and see their points.., my question is; can others do the same and try to understand why people are asking for these changes?

11. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

DFO has no rewards for PvP, it was FFA full loot PvP! And no special reward.

I don't see the point why pvpers need PvE environment for PvP (mobs) and I don't see the point why PvP'ers
    should have an extra reward for taking the risk???

Is it fun for you to PvP?
    Yes? Great, there is your extra reward of having bonus content.

Now can Portalarium please round up all PvPers and send them into PvP only scenes where they don't disturb PvE'ers because scenes are to small for both and just because of that and not because I don't want to or like PvP!!!

It's necessary to separate PvP from PvE!!! Just because of the game design with scenes!

What you should have is gaining XP from a killed player depending on his level and loose XP when you die in PvP.
    Risk versus Reward !!! Done!!!

Edit: there is no open PvP, there are scenes = instances and there is the option to flag.
    Open PvP means no instance no flag no rules!!!
    And sofa is not the game for open full loot PvP, Darkfall was/is and it's recommended for powergamers and PvPers !!!!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  12. Earl Atogrim von Draken

That actually IS the special reward.

So you are a supporter of the vanilla inyafacePvP.
    Good for you.
    I, for one, find this version of PvP rather tiering.

I agree partly.
    I agree that we really could use some bigger scenes.
    I disagree with seperating the community.

Belgtor likes this.
  13. Garfunkel Humperdinck

Garfunkel Humperdinck Bug Hunter

An immediate solution could be more simple than we think.

The Deep Ravenswood is being used for PVP because it is the best place to grind experience at this point. Why not put the toughest mobs in the dedicated PVP zones that yield more experience to draw people in.

The ban on SP Online mode in Shardfalls and Ruins has been a flop as far as encouraging PVP there. But it did make PVE players feel left out of what are some of the most interesting and beautiful scenes in the game. Not good for a game that is supposedly 'a single player game that has an option to play with friends'.

More tough critters could draw in players looking for high experience mobs to fight, which would lead to more PVP, and just maybe allow these zones to be opened to PVE players in SP Online again, since they would have to fight to get resources just like every other scene in the game. Deep Ravenswood proves that it may work. It has very active PVP in MP Online without requiring a ban on SP Online.

Could this work and be fair to everyone?

14. Lyndoman

Lyndoman Avatar

That all mobs can be tamed, as long as they continue to be fed the liver from the Obsedian Eagle and that they can be kept in cages and kept in the basement to create a zoo which other Novians could be charged to see.

or

The ability to collect the blood of the animals to make black pudding. You can't have a cooking mod without black budding.

:)

15. Earl Atogrim von Draken

*Shrugs*
    It's again connected to the XP bonus that, in my opinion, shouldn't exist in the first place.
    Deep Ravenswood only works like that because of the bonus.
    But as a short term solution it might be worth a try.

Garfunkel Humperdinck likes this.
  16. Garfunkel Humperdinck

Garfunkel Humperdinck Bug Hunter

What if the bonus only applied in Shardfalls, Ruins and Arenas (actual PVP zones) while in MP Online? A small bonus makes sense to help them mitigate the extra decay they experience from dying so much.

17. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Let me try to explain you what problem i personelly have with this bonus.
    At the moment, Portalarium can use the Bonus "to encourage PvP" as shild against the (again in my opinion) fact that there is no rmeaningful PvP in SotA (as i already said, meaningful PvP for me is empire building).
    They can say: here, see, we encourage PvP! You got your support and we will move on and ignore PvP again for the next 10 releases!
    THAT's why i want this bonus to go away. I don't have a problem with the bonus per se. I have a problem with Portalarium hieding behind it.

18. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I don't understand why PvP is about grinding XP while PvE !!!
    And that because PvP is an optional flag and nothing vital.
    If catching up with powergamers and grinding, and nothing more is the benefit of making PvP that's ridiculous!

The separation of the community is not PvP versus PvE but grinding versus casual gaming.

And with every mechanic that rewards grinders and powergamers they segregate casual gamers in PvE because of having the same challenge tovether
    and PvP because of the slaughter the grinders do on casuals.

19. Earl Atogrim von Draken

This may, of course, be correct.
    Non the less i will stay sceptical for the moment ;-)

20. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

Here is what I'd like to see changed that would help PVP, not in just the PVP zones, but in all zones. For me what makes PVP fun is being able to do it again. What I mean here is if a person is killed, they should be able to get back into the fight quickly. I understand that many players want an actual risk involved when it comes to PVP, and especially death, but the players time should not be part of this. A person gets killed, then they have to either exit a scene or go to an ankh. The time it takes to travel to one of these is enough. When you resurrect at an ankh, and have to re-equip your armor you were wearing after getting it back from the price of the oracle. .this makes you open to being rez killed easily. This increases the time you spend trying to get back into the fight. If you want to avoid that, you must exit the scene, but you get a penalty to all of your stats for about 5 minutes. I think the penalty last time I had to do this was -62 to my Str, Dex, and Int. You aren't going to get back into the fight until this wears off unless you are insane. Here's my suggestion to fix all of this.

1. Remove the equipment the avatar is wearing from items that can be taken as price of the oracle, or at the very least, if the player pays to get the equipment back, auto equip it back to the avatar when he resurrects. (would need to pay price of the oracle prior to coming back to life)
    Alternate option here. Prevent player from being attacked while at an ankh. (this fixes res killing in general.)

2. Remove the de buff to stats for exiting the scene to resurrect. The loading screens to exit the scene and to get back into the scene are enough punishment for dying already. Having to wait 5 minutes to fight again because your stats are wrecked is not fun.

I think once these problems are resolved PVP will be in a better position to become great in SOTA.

Belgtor and Thwip like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.