The basic rule of any great pvp (open-pvp scenes)

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Rada Torment, Dec 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

i would love to have a scene with many resources that has to be held by players, it would make others want to take it from them! this could get more people participating in PVP whether pvp or not. You would have crafters crafting for people that are there fighting for the cause (run that peice of land with no yeild) it could get guilds working together to make more resource and money.

like say 10 people are holding the land hostage, 3 people try an take it they lose so they go get others, now there is 30 people in the group that wants to take that land and the 10 just lost it, guilds could team up in ways to hold this land, now you have just entered Guild wars scenario Guild vs Guild. So you see much can be done if people listen to people that actually PVP and not just lobby for one side. Iwanted to add this i dont think there is any guild out there that could hold a place like that for a long time, based on play times of each guild and thier members.
    But maybe 2 guilds from different time zones could!

@DarkStarr , @Lord British , @Chris

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  2. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

No I never played EVe.
    I find it funny when people quote another sytem in a game on this forum as what they want to see. If the system was that great wouldn't you be playing it now and not looking for a replacement?

Greed is a motivator, but unfortunately that greed also leads to people leaving for other games also. A lot of players prefer not to pay inflated price for mats/items that can only be obtained from PVP, if there play style or skill limit their PVP exposure. Eventually those games get one controlling force and PVP becomes stagnant. Honestly, I would prefer unique and new to old and been done.

3. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

The argument isn't with me. I was simply wording your post in a manner that it WILL be interpreted.

However, the current state of PvP gives no reason to stick it out and fight that challenging fight. Better off farming those PvEers flaggged PvP for the bonus Exp.

That way the only risk is the PvEer's

4. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Oh i play it.
    Or better i would if my ISP wouldn't suck big time.
    But EvE is very different to an RPG. And RPG with some (not all) of the elements would make PvP awsome. At least for me ;-)
    It's not "I want it that way!" it's more like "I want it inspired by that!"

I agree. And that's where the mentioned uniqueness is important.
    It only works in EvE because it is actually absolutley unique at the moment. There is no other game like that out there.
    And i fully admit that it isn't for everybody.
    Let me proof that with a chart ;-)
    [​IMG]

This is one of the, by far, most used memes to explain EvE.
    Now, i am fully aware that we won't get something like that here. Nor would i want something like that here.
    BUT, that's what meaningful PvP is to ME.
    If you can come up with something similar unique and challenging i promise i will be there to support it.
    But at the moment all ideas i read make me yawn.
    Some of them are good for a short time solution. Some of them are good but don't make PvP meaningful. And some of them are just b/s.
    But that's my personel opinion and i am in no way the majority of the PvP players we still have.

Bambino likes this.
  5. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

What happened to PvPing for the challenge of fighting real people? That's not enough reason?

The simple solution is back off from rewarding open PvP and putting a purpose to PvP and rewarding succuss in that purpose.

Clinging to open PvP as the core of PvP in SotA will kill all PvP.

6. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

that would be as far as the experience would go, but gold will be made by all those that do not pvp and choose to just craft Hence the loser on the end of a pvp match will have to go buy it again, like a lot of Non PVP people i really hate crafting so i will look to someone else to craft who better to go to than the ones that spend no time in the pvp world but instead craft. So there are the rewards for those that do not pvp. again they get rewarded for just not flagging (on a monetary level) think about it when was the last time you you killed a monster or NPC that had an equivalent amount of gold as one sword costs from another players vendor????

Thats my point. craft your whole time and dont PVP you get your rewards. the PVP loses. There is no reward, beside a small increase in exp. (not worth the time atm to run around flagged PVP, its not fun, there is no reward for putting yourself in danger, nothing has anything on them worth the time. Once those things are fixed then PVP may get an increase of population. There needs to be a reason aside from "i just want to fight another player" we can do that without needing to be enticed, but it would be nice to get some money or items worth the fight in the first place.

Garfunkel Humperdinck likes this.
  7. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

i knew somone was going to come up with that lol please let that scapegoat go "pvp for pvp" lol get real we are in a game where he who has the most toys wins, start by looking at pledges in this game then work yourself into the game and understand why so many people have everything.
    70% did not earn it in game and 30% did thats just a guess so dont lawyer me.

PVP is designed to take things from people, whether its money, armor weapons or pride.
    PVP is used to forcibly take from one so another can gain.
    PVP is used for holding or taking areas/zone
    PVP is used to exact revenge

PVE does not do any of that. so.....

Have PVP with none of the above and here we are 90% PVE who bought into the game and are living large, 10% PVP trying to hang on to the game like theres a glint of hope. Again dont lawyer me on those numbers they are guess's from seeing who is online in pvp and who is not.

There are more reasons to PVP than just being able to PVP

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    Belgtor and Bambino like this.
  8. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

There are many things I can't argue with in this post but I'm going to point out a few things.

It's odd that you think that someone that PvEs for their rewards doesn't earn them. (From earlier posts)
    If someone fails at PvE they do not get rewarded.

PvPers pushed for looting. That's the reward. It's also the punishment. It off sets itself.

If you don't want to craft or PvE to gather things to sell. I get that you want to off set the cost of PvP. The delivery method for those rewards you keep saying PvP should get probably shouldn't come from PvEing.

Many people have tried to convince everyone that PvEing while flagged PvP is PvPing. I say it's PvE unless you are actually PvPing while PvEing. But that's not for me to decide.

Currently, the only reason to PvP is because the target is flagged PvP. No reason to reward that. That's just PvP for the sake of PvP.

Once they give a purpose to PvP then there can be a reward.

PvPing for a town siege would be a great method. Fight off the siege and get a reward. Help the siege succeed get a reward. Both sides of the siege is fought by players.

Losing side of the siege gets nothing.

9. Armar

Armar Avatar

LooL, had been just about to say this. This would open a new world of howling and whining... even for this game...

// Armar

10. Gix

Gix Avatar

What about listening to the people who love PvP but don't WANT to PvP in SotA due to how it's currently structured?

I'm not afraid to participate in PvP, I don't care about losing items... I just hate how PvP is set up right now. It's partly due to how the overall combat skills are designed (and their progression) but mostly due to the rules of engagement. And no amount of XP bonuses is gonna make me want to flag for PvP.

I play tons of games that involve PvP; some with harsher penalties than others. When there's PvP in the game, I tend to exclusively play in PvP. That's the kind of thing that keeps me coming back.

When PvPers don't want to PvP, you got yourself a problem.

The "We PvPers don't have anything else" argument doesn't justify pissing off those who don't want to participate in PvP. If you understand that it's bad design, why defend it at all?

Stundorn likes this.
  11. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

im in total agreement there PVP is useless atm, from all angles. I think you may have taken this a little too personal, but the reason alot of people will not come into pvp is because they will lose thier stuff either by thieves, or just get ganked, becuase they are not trained well enough yet in PVP.

Stundorn likes this.
  12. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

*Basic rule of PVP * - Don't have zones and players that are out of Sync!

Stundorn and blaquerogue like this.
  13. Gix

Gix Avatar

@blaquerogue I just believe that categorizing players by:
    • Those who PvP.
    • Those who don't want to PvP.
    ... is simply the wrong approach to things when discussing PvP. You're setting yourself up to never find a suitable solution.

Stundorn and Numa like this.
  14. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

im not really holding my breath for a great PVP play in this game ever,,,,,,,,,so until then ill just play PVE mostly and PVP when i want to gank somone thats being an ass.

15. Numa

Numa Avatar

the PvE/PvP playstyle mix you just described probably applies to the great majority of players who bother to indulge in PvP. Maybe that's the balancing point that Pirt should aim for since the hardcore PvP snd PvE-only players will never come to a meeting of minds.

Stundorn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.