The PVP system needs more.

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by fizual, Nov 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fizual

fizual Avatar

why would i put a pvp flag on that makes every other pvper my enemy?

i feel like the system we have now only appeals to people that are like minded to savages. looking to attack each other for loot , for no reason...

I would love to flag for a red/grey/blue system where at least your actions are justified or have consequences.

does anyone else feel like pvp is missing definition.

2. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

Everyone feels the way you describe except a very small few. The sad news is that Richard Garriott, Darkstarr and Chris seem to be among those few.

There is no substance right now, no reason to go and fight unless youre the type who is satisfied solely with the hollow death of an enemy.

I hold an expectation that @Chris and @DarkStarr implement a purpose driven pvp system that is fun for all players and one that does not place pve only players at a disadvantage or in a position where they are forced to pvp to keep up with their peers, which is what we have today.

Chris confirmed for me in a PM during the telethon that he had not read the collaborative factions post I submitted in the pvp forum yet because this was a performance release and he couldnt afford the distraction. While I appreciate and understand the prioritization, PvP is a long term project and needs frequent review with the community if its going to be successful.

I truely hope the entire dev team recognizes the volitle state of the community right now.

Community unrest should be Portalarium's first, second, third and fourth priority right now, because the current perception among most players is that we are being ignored.

This is in no way an angry post, but i felt it needed to be said since at the present, community perception is not being acknowledged or verbally addressed.

Bambino, fonsvitae, Numa and 6 others like this.
  3. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

You wouldn't. Clearly.

Well, your definition is crude, and unfortunately a common one.. but wrong.. We all are waiting for PVP and many other systems to work their way out of the meeting room and into the game..

Good input, but this is all covered in many other threads..

4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Unfortunately, PvP is a griefer's paradise in its current form.

Numa, FrostII, Knightguy and 4 others like this.
  5. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Its not perception, we are willingly being ignored. I wish I could say that they are just "not seeing" our ideas.

| Grave | and Lord Barugon like this.
  6. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

Benefit of the doubt in the hopes of cooperative progress. :oops:

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  7. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

...and the newly proposed pve stealing mechanic will only make it worse ;)

8. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I hope your idea gets traction, I do. I pitched so many Ideas over the years only to fall on deaf ears, or ignored outright. Please understand that I wish the best but am conditioned to expect the worst.

Bubonic and | Grave | like this.
  9. meadmoon

meadmoon Avatar

You're not being ignored. Soon every new player who accidentally steals will be flagged and you can hunt them down without guilt. Of course they won't fight back but one-sided PvP is better than none, right?

Cue Aerosmith song...

But but but...it will get players to PvP, yes?

10. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

[​IMG]

Dream On?
    Come together?
    Love in an Elevator?

Fister Magee likes this.
  11. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

this is not true. i do not feel ignored. i feel RG, DS, CS and team are very present and engaged with the community, and are absolutely flexing and responding to feedback.

paradise? dont think so. anything with optional PVP and an SPO mode is most certainly not a griefer's paradise.

I think players should be taught that stealing is wrong :p.

But more clearly, this is every new player, that steals something, without realizing it, three times in a row, and also ignores/misses the NPC shouting about it.

And I dont know about you, but I certainly would feel very guilty about having exploited a newb in such a way. Remember: law is the act of obeying rules regardless of them being right or not. Right action is doing what is right regardless of the law. Just because someone can be exploited without repercussion of the law (in our case, the game engine), does not imply that you can do so without guilt.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    Crowquills, Numa and MrBlight like this.
  12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Dude (Looks Like a Lady).

Fister Magee likes this.
  13. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Maybe we can have a second flag that actually enables PVP vs. Virtuous People.

It would work like this:

Every Player can flag for PVP and get his 25% bonus or whatever. BUT there is a second flag.
    We already told @Chris we want crossed swords as a logo and not the [PVP] Tag.
    If you enable the second flag the crossed swords turn red and you can attack everyone, but get negative virtue with all the consequences attached to it once you have negative virtue *e.g. permanent PVP flag or can be attacked by non flagged people*

All the other people enjoy their 25% and are automatically on the same side vs the evil guys with the red swords and they can only attack those.
    Basically you decide if you want to be good or evil and stay on that side, or kill people from the other side again to turn sides. It wont most likely be fitting the lore, but I think we could work around that.

I would still be evil so not much change there, but maybe it would feel less like DayZ for most and we could maybe give additional perks to the "blue" players, like Cosmetic Gear for killing reds.

We would kinda have blues vs reds again and there maybe would be more meaning to it for those that like to hunt bad guys.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  14. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I think i agree with tort.

Ill also tackle that first resposne ( Forced to pvp to keep up with your peers) is a completly false statement.
    Ive said it before and ill say it again, the flagging pve bonuse, substitiutes lost exp, and in reality even at 25% (which is high but meh) works out being less then i can make in Friends mode. But this has been beaten to death over and over.

Yea we all know the pvp is lacking, this flag option was basically a band aid.
    I find it hard to belive that they dont understand the need to have more in play for pvp, but im not sure how high the priority is, and thats debateable.. but i look at this change as a small plug to stem to buy them time while they keep working on things.

That being said, ive never felt *ignored* .. I also realize that what i think is a good idea, majority or others might not. And if you look on the forums alone.. theres 100's of posts a day for suggestions and such. I think they do what they can.

And appeals to people that minded to savages.. - lol.. I think most people are working with what they got.

Black Tortoise likes this.
  15. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

The question of "why do I PvP" has no in game answer.

Unless you count that 25% exp but that's more of a "why do I PvE while flagged open PvP"

| Grave | and Pickley like this.
  16. redfish

redfish Avatar

It's a grinder's paradise.... get it straight everyone !

Anyway, Creating a Justice System.

17. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

I will say, "most players Ive discussed the state of the game with". This is not just pvpers either, its crafters, decorators, xp grinders, people buying raffle tickets... numerous players with numerous different playstyles.

What we are lacking is communication prior to implementation. Portalarium has said many times they wont post information about big changes until after they implement the change and the community has had a chance to test. This is despite the fact that we have the ability to recommend alternatives while identifying potential pitfalls in player acceptance.

Again, their approach seems reasonable in theory but the problem is that most of the big changes the community hate are still in game because they made a decision not to flex on them before we ever even knew the change was coming.

Cotos being tied to repair, xp bonuses for pvpers and very likely virtue based red vs blue pvp coming soon.

Why the hell would a pve only player... a decorator who is helping make the game enviornment more attractive for other players... grabbing a bolt of cloth off an npc table deserve to be PKed? Those evil decorators who have helped build the game suddenly deserve virtue assimilation carried out by their peers? Are you serious?

They are putting in some seriously questionable mechanics and people ive spoken too arent happy about it.

Stundorn and Pickley like this.
  18. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

I would still love to see a Order vs Chaos system installed with perks and buffs. But I am not sure who fights vs who, yet ^^

Crowquills and | Grave | like this.
  19. meadmoon

meadmoon Avatar

You couldn't figure that out?

Dream On

20. meadmoon

meadmoon Avatar

Until this game has full-loot in PvP, all we have in boring, no-risk, no consequence, glorified dueling. I'll continue to play another game for PvP until I see something that remotely resembles PvP in SotA.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Ravicus Domdred like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.