The PVP system needs more.

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by fizual, Nov 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

That's a classic.
    The answer to it is: no, we don't have.
    For multiple reasons ;-)

Give it a few more releases and maybe Port and the Community came up with something that's actually fun for everybody.
    We will see.

Mhhhhhh depends.

2. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

A perfect example of someone who has killed many people while not having the levels or time invested is jack pirate. Jack is proof that a good selection of the right skills, and good implementation of tactics can overcome the level differences. With the multitude of different deck combinations and knowing your opponent/s being a big part of the fight, levels only do so much.

3. fonsvitae

fonsvitae Avatar

As re full loot, that is not the object of consideration for this thread per the OP...

This thread is a voice for considering a moral/ meaningful context to PVP, which goes hand in hand w/ the general virtue system that permeates the game.

All of the things that are part of the game are important. PVP is part of the game and deserves the input and consideration of the entire game community as it fleshes out into the final product it will one day be.

Also, I feel that a virtue context would not only give meaning to PVP, it would also draw in a wider portion of the general SotA community, persons who are attracted to honor, purpose and meaning... among those, the RP community to which you belong.

4. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I argued about virtues related PvP in another thread and about PvP mirror zones and more...
    But too many threads about PvP and the good ideas around it.
    And i think it's more important to what they sold to implement more various PvE , uncloning scenes , rework some skills, summons e.g.
    and balance the economy, sell crafted to NPC with an effort e.g. (it's coming i read), because this things are basic to all playertypes.
    And if this and more is well implemented they can think over PvP.
    Meanwhile they should leave it in the PvP related scenes and tweak the XP Bonus. Get and lose XP while PvP and nothing else.

5. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Oh i actually agree.
    But that's no reason not to give some feedback and ideas for Port.
    Beside: you can't fix economy without taking into account what PvP will look like at some point.

I guess what most PvPers really want at the moment is that some Dev drops in and says something like:
    Hey! PvP will look like this and that. We will do xyz. We have in mind a.) b.) c.) And there is a good chance that we will be done with it untill xx.yy.2017

That at least would focus the discussion.

Stundorn likes this.
  6. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Totally agree , especially about economy is realted to PvP !!!

7. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Sorry I don't believe , but before i say something wrong i have 2 questions.

How many HP does one have who plays effective? I have around 300 and heared of people who have 1000.
    How much damage doe people with GM'd skills against one with skill 60-70?

8. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Don't matter if you believe it or not, it happened time and time again. Just ask anyone who attends the tournaments, or who has met jack pirate in pvp. I have seen him kill people who have 20 levels on him. The damage difference between level 80 and 100 is not that much.

Numa and Garfunkel Humperdinck like this.
  9. HogwinHD

HogwinHD Avatar

I am The Person That was Beaten numerous times by jack Pirate, therefore what @Mac2 says is fact. i am level 104 , jack pirate is 84-88 i think, and he rofl stomped me, i hate losing but i admit to that, my numerous GM skills didnt do nothing for me against the build he used.

Numa, Mac2 and Garfunkel Humperdinck like this.
  10. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

All this does is point out that there is and will always be a template / skill of the day in an y game that has different skills and skill levels for players and the skills themselves.

There can and will never be a balance and there will always be a template / skill o the day that will be found to work better or different.

There will even be times when a skill at 1 will work better than the same skill at 100 - most time as a result of crappie programing, a bug, or exploit, but it will happen.

As a result of a never achievable base balance then nothing needs to be done to make PvP anything.

Until you have a balanced field you can not make any adjustments to make it viable.

once you have a balanced field then you can add all you want to make it rewarding.

11. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Its not a skill of the day thing, jack is just a really good player. He beat me many times with me being higher level.

Numa likes this.
  12. Armar

Armar Avatar

In Shadowbane i did keep my char for a long time under max ( i think max had been 70 and i did keep mine on 59) because people tend to underestimate you. Which is a big advantage and got a lot of people killed. It has the added advantage that they will attack you more likely :)

// Armar

13. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I know that to be underestimated is always an advantage.
    Ok, it's maybe not a thing about some GM or skills in the 80ies, but
    about a well skilled character who has important skills high, has much live and does
    good damage.
    I don't know my level actually, but my damage skills are below 70.
    My HP is below 400, don't know how far HP can get?!?
    And because of this i am not competetive, beside a player who has equally low to mid Stats.
    But majority of players grind a lot and is way more developed.

But ontopic.
    Yesterday i thought over the discussions of the last weeks and had an insight for me personally.

I actually don't PvP and i don't like grinding , because i am a lazy roleplayer and casualgamer.
    But I like PvP if it is set in a roleplay and lore conform environment and my character has cause to fight others ,
    maybe virtue related or because of a guildwar etc...

This said I would love to have a good PvP system for the game!!!
    I argued here and there sometimes a little bit against PvP, because i prefer to have other things developed first.
    Just other priorities.

First thing that is important to me about PvP and the game at all.
    Let it everything allways be an option and no constraints.
    If Portalarium is able to manage all the different contents that different playertypes want, the game gets the wider audience and with that a bigger community and support to develop the game and further episodes!!!

The only reason of discussions about PvP/PvE etc.., and maybe i'm late of recognizing it, because i play since August but reading the official Forums just for some weeks , because of language hassles, is this feeling of getting behind, cannot partake or won't partake at all and it's not my priority etc...
    And of course here and there the strictly non PvPers are maybe frightened of getting bothered by PK's even if it's not ganking and spawncamping.

PvE won't miss scenes (Ruins, Shardfalls) and get less XP and want more content like Quests, Mobs, uncloned scenes...
    PvP won't miss thrill and action and want meaningfull PvP and something it's worth for taking the risk

What we always should consider is: Nobody's Fun should bother the other!!!
    And that's why i come to the insight that both sides should support each other and remember Portalarium of
    finding ways to make everything allways an option!!!

And the PvE and PvP Style has to be balanced about character development.

Actually they mixed it up because of the PvE XP Bonus you get while flagged PvP.
    I think that's worse, because it feeds the feeling of an disadvantage.
    There were some good ideas made in the threads about PvP the last weeks.
    I hope Portalarium soon will change something and make a change for PvP.

They should find a solution that makes the option of flagging PvP interesting, worth and supporting PvP itself and not PvE like it actually is with the XP Bonus.

I proposed many times to let the player decide before joining a scene if he want it enter in PvE or PvP mode.
    For PvE nothing changes. You can go solo or can group up to 8 or go in Multiplayer.
    For PvP there are no Mobs, but ressources.
    You can harvest, but with the risk of beeing attacked and loosing your stack.

Many people complained about SPO and the advantage of harvesting.
    If you can harvest without beeing harrased by mobs this would be attract a lot of people, harvesters and robbers.
    Ressource Respawn in PvP scenes should be 10times slower so that nobody can harvest forever without beeing disturbed.
    And if you leave you are still flagged PvP and need an Oracle to unflag.

14. Kinkara

Kinkara Avatar

Things needed to make us PVPers more happy.
    #1 Disarm, for us disarm thieves.
    #2 Snooping, which will lead to...
    #3 Loot Selection, not random
    #4 PVP Lockpicking. I.E, able to open locked houses and locked chests in players houses.
    #5 A Purge day once a week/month where everyone everywhere gets flagged PVP for a set amount of time that can't be toggled.

15. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

1. Don't get it, but i guess this is too strong
    2. Don't get it, because you can hide and snoop?!?
    3. NO! i prefer you can only loot ressources and if no ressources availabe take some gold!!!
    4. I hope only for PvP PoT. If people were able to steal from my Room and take 1000 Mandrake for example this would force many people to quit.
    5. What bad idea! A Thief bothers others by definition, but if someone want the risk and be bothered should always be an option.

16. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Things needed to make us PVPers more happy.
    #1 Disarm, for us disarm thieves. Not UO but sure a Disarm Skill I am sure it will come
    #2 Snooping, which will lead to... Snooping sure but will not lead to anything
    #3 Loot Selection, not random Not in this game
    #4 PVP Lockpicking. I.E, able to open locked houses and locked chests in players houses. Get into to player houses and chest LMAO
    #5 A Purge day once a week/month where everyone everywhere gets flagged PVP for a set amount of time that can't be toggled. ROFLMAO

17. Kinkara

Kinkara Avatar

You could snoop while hidden in UO, don't see why they couldn't implement that here. Was very good for a vendor thief, you wait hidden out in front of a popular vendor, stealth up to a target shopping, snoop their bag, activate the stealing skill ( or here it would be pickpocketing), and as soon as they make a purchase and their item hits there bag, you steal it and run off and hide. You would remain hidden until you selected the item you wanted to steal. Which is why #2 and #3 go hand in hand.

18. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Please dear PvP'ers always consider that this isn't arena match PvP and pvping is always something that need to be consensual to not bother anyone who don't want it.
    Nobody's fun or advantage should disadvantage or bother another player as it reduces this players fun.
    Rule No.1 if we want the game a success is that everybody should play like he want to play.

If Portalarium turn away from consensual the game become more hardcore and a more niche game for PvPers.
    I do not believe this is good for the game itself.

We need to find compromises for everybody, but PvP is per definition about bothering the looser.
    If you haven't anything to loose or if you can get over loosing this and that you can go fighting for fun.
    Nothing else!!!
    I for myself have'nt anything yet that I can get over if i loose it!
    If I have you can be sure i will partake in PvP for fun!!!

If PvPers want to bother others while they cannot get over it to loose something, this should prevented.

19. Kinkara

Kinkara Avatar

Further more, if you don't want your items in chests or houses to be looted from PVP lockpickers, you do have a BANK which you can store items.

20. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

well since this is never going to happen do not really even need to worry about it.

In the new PvP town I bet this still is not going to be allowed.

Hope upon hope to get the old days of UO but hold your breath, please.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.