We're doing this PVP XP Bonus thing all wrong.

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Poor game design, Feb 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I just want untill there is "real content" a system that encourages as many people as possible to toggle in. The 25% xp was a good pull but too rewarding and unfair for the pve people the 10% is fair and helps but there needs to be more incentive for people to toggle in. Im not talking about a xp or resource incentive but a incentive arround fun and reasons to pvp.

Numa likes this.
  2. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Oooohhhh... you're talking about the PVE multiplayer bonus. Yes, I agree with that - the strictly PVE multiplayer bonus should go away and only apply to Open PVP flagged players - like when it was first introduced.

3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Although there is no risk in PVE multiplayer, there is competition for resources that is not seen in SPO. For that reason, I'm fine with the 10% bonus. I personally still grind a lot in SPO because I don't want to compete for resources in multiplayer.

What I'm saying is that the additional PVP bonus should only be given to players that are flagged and also have someone they can actually fight (not a group member or a guild member).

I understand that. But this is a marathon and not a sprint.

If all we have is players that are flagging to get the bonus, we really don't have a robust PVP scene. It's not helping anything. In fact it's liable to create situations where players tell horror stories about SOTA pvp and that prevents other players from ever trying it in the first place.

4. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Well the player base is very small atm im not sure the current population pull of people will be horrified by sotas non exsistant pvp content. Im really speaking as we go in to launch mode.

Right now this is the worst pvp game ive ever played im sure it will get better. The more people wanting to mix it up the better long term it will be imop.

5. Drocis the Devious

I think that's short sighted.

As much as I want there to be tons of people playing PVP, I don't want it at the expense of the long term health of PVP.

6. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I don't flag for the bonus - I flag for PVP. I'm guessing most people that flag for Open PVP do so because #PVP. The bonus is a basic 10% carrot boost for the few folks that wouldn't flag without the bonus - and for what it does, it works I guess. Man... back in R35 when this whole bonus thing kicked in - PVP was happening all over the place. Though, most of it fell off when the devs split the bonus between multiplayer and PVP in multiplayer.

7. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Goes back to what I was saying earlier, there needs to be incentive based on fun and reasons/objectives to pvp other than xp or resources.

Duke Avery likes this.
  8. Drocis the Devious

Yes, of course.

But the bonus makes no sense if there's no one there that can kill you.

9. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

If the devs gave us mechanics for meaningful PVP they wouldn't need a bonus to incentivize flagging. So, until that happens the bonus is a good thing for SotA PVP. And if launch comes and it turns out this is just a grind game and that's that - there's always CoE for meaningful PVP.

10. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

lol....

11. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Scenes are too small to have a bonuse only in effect when no other players are in.

Basically what i mean by that, is i can go into a zone, find and kill you, in seconds - minutes.
    You wont even know ive joined the zone.
    So by limiting it to a bonuse only when players are in, basically means 20-30 seconds, of extra exp, even if youve been * at risk * for hours.
    Instantly it becomes another un neccisarry risk vs reward issue.

Think your overestimating how long aggressive players stay in a zone before shoving one of each other out.

The nearby players ? Indicator.. not only sometimes delays, but again, usually means 30 ish secs for player to enter and find you. That indicator is rough to begin with.
    Basically adding stipulation someone else has to be in zone, would be fine. IF all the zones wrre the size of blood bay. But they arnt.

12. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

Not a fan of the scoreboard either. Wish there was a Tracking skill and a skill that allowed you to disappear from the tracking list for a brief time. I guess the /who command works but I'd rather have that info rolled into a skill

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  13. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Lol

You know as well as me he would never step out of his PoT with a PvP flag.......in fact we were amazed to find him outside the walls of his house lol

I did like his 'version' of the story though....made me chuckle. Makes a change from the usual kind of excuse like I died because "I lagged" or "I got disconnected".

As for the OP, PvP has declined since they changed the XP bonus....don't really see removing it completely unless there was another PvPer would be any kind of incentive.

Stick the difference in XP between multiplayer and PvP back at 20% and introduce some PvP meaning.......

Maybe also removing the ability to have a "private" house in a PvP zone.....nothing worse than pretend PvPers being able to house hide like they do.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    Duke Avery and majoria70 like this.
  14. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

You could have a base pvp bonus for risk and have the bonus scale upward as more non party/guild/friend pvpers enter an instance. If no one engages in pvp killing (standing around ignoring each other) the buff defaults back to the base level with in 15 min. If players engages in pvp either dying or killing the + scale becomes a buff which lasts an hour in any instance without more pvpers present but still flagged. Unflagging would remove the bonus exp buff. To prevent issues with faking it make no bonus given to people who you have been partied with/ friended with/ or guilded with in the last week.

15. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Well, it's fun if you win more than you loose or k/d is 50/50 right.

Its like one principle of capitalism, everybody can be rich/ the winner.
    Imagine a world of only winners having fun, great fantasy, but nothing real that ever could happen.
    We all need someone take out the Garbage and all winners need loosers.

Conclusion, this kind of fun depends on others frustration!

@Baron drocis fonderlatos Your mentioned mechanic can be abused, you just need a friend in there.

I changed my opinion about the XP bonus, I think it's OK, if you have the risk you should have some bonus.
    Although the risk ATM is very low!
    But that maybe will change, if the real PvP guys come to play this game, they are the only ones who have fun.

I'm still against zone restrictions for PvP.

16. Drocis the Devious

Well that's one way to look at it. But doesn't that prove my point about that risk? If you only have 30 seconds of risk, why are we giving away a reward for hours and hours?

17. Drocis the Devious

Yes, if there's going to be a winner, there has to be a loser. What I'm saying is that if our goal is to have meaningful pvp, we can't make a game where the winners are always the same, and the losers get 25% more XP just to be losers.

No only will that fail to attract people for the long term in PVP, it will also reward people for being losers.

Stundorn likes this.
  18. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Oh I have an idea. We could dispense with all this debate about XP by not having an XP-based system.

Womby, majoria70, Numa and 2 others like this.
  19. Drocis the Devious

I wonder how I was able to kill players in Shardfalls then?

Regardless of this being incorrect, this is a personal attack.

As I stated before...

20. Armar

Armar Avatar

How about "you guys" get over your PvP exp bonus problem and move on,,,,,

// Armar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.