We're doing this PVP XP Bonus thing all wrong.

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Poor game design, Feb 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I'll bet you 1000 COTO's that you're wrong. I'll bet we see significant new PVP mechanics before official launch.

Will you take the bet?

Numa likes this.
  2. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Numa and Duke Avery like this.
  3. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Like most systems in place before launch, I think we will have a new basic PvP mechanic at launch with will be bare adequate. But as they move into s2, s3, s4, s5 it will get better. People should understand that this is how this game will be developed now... actually very much like UO. at day 0, this game will be adequate to play, by s5, this game may be great to play. We all need to give it time, this is simply a fact of how things work in software development today (look at EVE online).... and crowd sourcing. Either you see this game in the short term and cant wait for it, or you bunker down for the long term and enjoy watching the game get better over time.

Numa likes this.
  4. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I'd feel bad taking your money on a bet like this... significant mechanics aren't in the realm of possible. They're a small dev team and they've already shown their hand - I'll PVP against you for COTO and whatever... but you're too much a of a super fan to see what is clearly being advertised. Come PVP with me, BDF. Let's just make it fun and stop waiting around for something to happen.

MrBlight and discipleofweb like this.
  5. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

I have to agree to this. Even though we might end up on different opinions on what kind of PVP they should implement I also see that there is an overall lack of purpose in guilds and player interaction. I'd wish that Guilds would have more influence on the happenings in Novia. Conflict and also Alliances that can also add a lot to the RP atmosphere. A justice system where evil and good guys can rank up and have a function in the game world and influence in it could also be something to attract the loners that don't want to participate in guild politics.

Bow Vale, Numa and MrBlight like this.
  6. Drocis the Devious

I think we'll get NPC guards and probably some type of faction system when it's all over. There's other stuff I think we'll get too.

I'm sure we'll meet each other in game in the future. Savor the anticipation, Duke Avery.

Numa, Stundorn and Duke Avery like this.
  7. Drocis the Devious

We're getting guild alliances like in the next month or two.

I have hope that the blessing system will be a part of that. We'll see.

8. Net

Net Avatar

I can sort of understand the xp bonus as it is. If people go to less populated zones with PvP flag, that means they are less populated because they are not so rewarding and the bonus can make up for that and they can still be visited by PvPer at any time.

I still think that PvP death should have same/similar XP loss as any other death and the winner should get part (but not all) of the xp loss as xp reward. Basically players, at least high level PvP players would be "the best bosses" in the game. And to prevent abuse of the system there should be overall xp loss.

Numa and Spoon like this.
  9. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

I guess I'm just dense.. I don't get why people get a big bonus to do what they want to do. I get no bonus for PeV... I sure as heck haven't discovered a crafting bonus (other than the bonus I'd get if I were being mentored which applies across the board anyway). Lord knows a bonus for smelting and the other mundane time sink stuff that goes into crafting would be a hit.

*shrug*

Duke Gréagóir and Stundorn like this.
  10. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Because people were not doing it. Partially because the game mechanics for PvP are still being built and the current are inadequate, they are currently offering a 10% bonus to PvP (probably TEMPORARY) to encourage people to flag.

Unlike the things you listed, flagging and running into a zone is very dangerous and leads to significantly less xp due to not only have to keep an eye open but being disturbed. The goal is to offer a small (yet actually not even worth it) bonus to get people to flag and start getting into PvP.

Unfortunately, people who are not PvP, whom have had 38 releases of 99% PvE content are getting bent about it since "they dont PvP" and are clearly not part of the community and are only interested in MEMEMEMEMEMEME. Yet they continue to be the best forum PvP'ers about the topic of PvP.

11. Drocis the Devious

It's because there's more risk involved with PVP. (but only when someone is actually there)

Berek likes this.
  12. Sir Brenton

Sir Brenton Avatar

As someone who has not PVP'd much at all until this release, I can say the 10% xp bonus is meaningless. Don't get upset by it. I started flagging for PVP because after doing it once to try it out I met some pretty cool people.

The bonus helps, but honestly the first time you die its all for not. If anything the PVE players have a huge advantage because they can be in the same scene without any risk and on a whim decide to attack you and insta-flag for pvp when you are really low on health fighting off mobs of creatures. With no warning and you already severely wounded they attack, laugh then go clear their flag at the nearest town.

A 10% bonus is an extremely mild reward to say the least..

My opinion as a recent PVP player.

13. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

I risk everytime I go fight ;p.. dumb lag or user error lol) zap... ~ 25K XP (at least for my 1st death o the day)

alas... Pvp'll be there if/when I'm ready

Stundorn likes this.
  14. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Except as a PvPr, were both aiming to farm generally from one of the same few *good* zones.
    So now i am constantly having to be aware of othrr players flagged AND unflagged.
    Not to mention you dont generally use a PvP deck to PvE in.. so now i am farming in my pvp deck, in a (for this pop) high traffic area, running a pvp deck that easily slows me down more then 10%.

My options as a pvper are to either A - farm like this, and hope the mob is dead before a player gets to me.
    Or B - be that roaming pvper looking for someone in a zone doing the above option.

Farm regularily in pvp mode. Even at this population, you do not make *more * exp.
    Your stopping more to be ready, your running dif decks. And your fighting constant.

The idea of only having a bonuse when another pvper is in the zone also doesnt work because of the fact non flagged can jump you still. ( people seem to forget this ).
    In reality, maybe under 5 skull fsrming you can find some people able to kill while flagged without percaussions. But honestly theres only a couple zones you can get good xp per hour. And if im NOT in one of those spots, im making under ideal, and the 10% doesnt cover the difference.

If any and every 5 skull was size of blood bay, maybe i could see logic behind Op.
    But in practicality, this *bonuse* is ignorable.

Nothing beats friends mode exp atm for me. And those are numbers ive axtully compared with MANY hours of testing.

Solazur, Numa and Stundorn like this.
  15. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Where did they announce alliances?
    And have they elaborated on how they will work? If i start a guild war, does it make all opposing guild hostile? Does it flag me for attacking them? Can guildies opt out of a guild war?
    I get the feeling it will be limited. If your guild was part of an *alliance* and a war happend, would u be okay with pvp anywhere?
    Or is it going to limit you to only fighting if flagged ( and basically being no different then now ) ?
    Seems like a lot of mechanics, i have asked about yet arnt seeing any real responses too :/ so im skeptical at best of this coming out soon.

Solazur likes this.
  16. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

In think if a guild is at war the people still need to flag and a guildwar does not force you into 24/7 PvP, but that is just a suggestion.

17. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

As it is currently implemented it is the opposite.
    As soon as the guild leaders declare and accept the guild war, then EVERYONE in both guilds are forced into open flagged PvP with no exceptions.
    When doing the war declaration the challenger sets the number of days for the war, and EVERYONE in both guilds remain PvP flagged for the whole duration of the war. So you cannot run to the oracle for protection.
    The only way to get 'rid of' the guild war PvP flag is to leave the guild.

18. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Lol.
    So basically i can make my whole guild flag right now, and pretend i declared war on everyone?
    That explains why theres probly been no guild wars.. ( wouldnt even call that a guild war )

19. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I ask myself: Why does PvP need a special incentive? Why doesn't following the story need a special incentive (as an example)?
    If people want to experience the story they follow it. But for PvP this seems to be different somehow. One should think that those who want to do PvP would flag themselves. But somehow the incentives seems to be for those who don't really want to do PvP but want to get something for doing so. "I am not really interested in PvP but if I get some EXP, then oh my, if need be I flag myself." Is this really the way to approach this? Adding people who are halfheartedly doing PvP just to get more EXP?

Womby and Stundorn like this.
  20. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Think you missed main point of my post.
    In no way is there more exp from flagging. Even with the *bonuse* you still make less. Its not an incentive to join, its a slight addition to offset the penalty. Theres a pretty big difference.

Why is there exp and gold rewards for doing quests? Same argument can be used there. Its just to offset a bit of the penalty you take from doing something different, as opposed to pure character progression.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.