Will be there an incentive system for PVP?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Xail, May 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Interessting how pvp haters meet pvp lovers in such topics.
    Nowadays pvp is an integral part of an MMO (or what ever you want to call this game).
    I don't like grifers and PKs. But you want a sandbox? you want "immersion" (god how i started to hate this word a few years back -.-)?
    Well, then you will have to accept that we need a good pvp system. With everything that belongs to it.

2. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

PvP is completely irreverent to a good game, its only essential if the devs are either to lazy or to uninspired to make a GOOD engaging game. PvP should be able to stand on its own, no incentives, no inducements, no crippling other system like companions or anything else "Because PvP". if you have to do that to get PvPers involved then its not worth having them. Make a good game that stands on its own, that people want to play and then simply allow people to open it up if they chose to do so.

Pretty sure that's how Diablo 2 worked, not sure because that was such a fantastic game that I had no need to go looking for people to fight, I wanted to kill the cow king again

Moo
    Moo
    MOOO
    Moo
    Moo moo, moo moo MOOO

Logain and Net like this.
  3. Xail

Xail Avatar

Hi Baron Asguard, I think from what I have read and the little info that I have that the SotA management has a different opinion than yours and that PVP in this game will be completely reverent...

blaquerogue likes this.
  4. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Yeah, well, no.
    I would agree with your statement if it wouldn't be for the first sentence.
    Beside Diablo 2 has not much in common with SotA.

5. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

I remember pvp in diablo 2. The only incentive was to get the ear of the dude talking trash in the chatroom. Week 1 of diablo 2, 2 guys wanted to fight, in the chatroom, we entered a game and I had a paladin with the thorn thing on, the thing that does the damage back to the attacker, they both died instantly it was hilarious. About 1 month later the trainer cheat was released and went mainstream, everyone cheated after that, so it was fun to get the legit kills in when you could before the cheats. You got half the gold they were carrying or something like that, not much incentive other than an ear that you'd eventually throw away for bank space.

In UO the poorest players I knew were PKs, they had the worst armor, the worst weapons, probably because they didn't want to lose good stuff, but it became permanent for them, they always wore garbage because they were in that lifestyle, not to get rich but to be prepared for a fight 24/7. The crafters that never engaged in PvP made a million times more gold than the PKs ever did. The incentive for the real PvPers was simply for the thrill of the PvP.

As for incentives Starr has said there will be some incentives, I believe something about PvP points or armor, or resources or something, then there was a debate about WoW pvp armor being horrible etc etc. Really I could care less what incentives it does or does not have, when you're bored you will want to PvP for the simple fact that you've explored the whole map, killed every monster, can't find a better house plot and want to have some endgame content which will be PvP for many a player.

Lord Soliwilos and Atogrim like this.
  6. High Baron Asguard

Really? ultima 4, ultima 5, ultima 7, SI, mass effect, Baldur's gate, skyrim, final fantasy (I don't like it but *shrug*), KOTOR, dragon age origins, fallout, all fantastic RPGs, some open world, some linear, but all replayed 100 times over and all with no PVP. Write a fantastic experience and there is actually no need for PVP and that's not even the whole list. I could go on all day

7. Earl Atogrim von Draken

I said MMO.
    Not RPG.
    So no need to waste your breath on the list ;-)

Ninja edit: Mass Effect has pvp btw.

blaquerogue and Brandon3 like this.
  8. High Baron Asguard

Yea but it was only in 3 and it was really a tacked on afterthought, the real game is the single player game (which is sort of how all PvP should be, not just tacked on but the game should be fully developed and game ready and THEN its time to think about how PvP can be added to ENHANCE the game, rather than take it over the way it is here)

As for the rest that's exactly my point, its the whole "single player games are dead" mentality and yet the REAL unforgettable games, the ones which have a real connection, a real drive to keep playing them are the single player ROLL PLAYING games because they are the ones where the devs have actually put the effort into, you can hide sloppy design in an MMO and just hope the player interaction will cover for your game but in a single player game its all laid bare, it has to stand up on its OWN merits. So therefore by definition the best RPGs are FAR superior to any MMOs. Just look at all the complaints people around here make about WOW which is (by shear size) the best MMO, now compare THOSE complaints to the complaints about the ending of Mass Effect 3. Why do people even CARE about the ending that much? because they actually invest in the game, they actually care about the characters and the experience (I always tear up whenever I think about the scene "would have liked to run tests on the seashells" "Had to be me, someone else might have gotten it wrong"), tell me any PvP game which can give you THAT depth of an experience, where an NPC death actually makes you cry

9. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Ok we got a small missunderstanding here as it seems.
    I don't think single player games are dead. I am with you if it is about that. Can recommend you Witcher 3.
    But that's not the point. SotA is no real single player game. Is it as well no real MMO.
    Or maybe it is both ^^
    Well, point is: me, as a mmo-sota-player, i want to see pvp and i want to see good pvp. It's part of a good MMO for me.
    I admit i don't care much about the story because the sandbox is what brought me here in the first place.
    I do admit too, that there are prople out there that care as much about the story as i do care about the sandbox.
    They have all right to do so.
    But i have all right as well.

10. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

And you think PvP is Major - - - It is NOT. it is actually what will kill (and does) most players experiences.

When players are "forced" to participate or Engage with PvPers, they will just leave.

PvP is there for those of you who want to fight something more intelligent than a simple AI, if that is NOT sufficient for you as incentive, go play a FPS. They are built solely for the purpose of PLAYER vs PLAYER. MMORPGS are ALOT more than PvP.

Net likes this.
  11. Earl Atogrim von Draken

That's why complet games are build only on PvP! Owait....
    Where did you see anybody asking the Devs to force PvErs to do PvP?

blaquerogue likes this.
  12. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

i think this sentiment right here is whats driving people away, you shouldnt be so quick to write off someone elses opinion due to your own, I think its pretty major and i think its sad that the anti pk crowd is so 'my way or the highway' sad sad sad .....

blaquerogue, Abydos, Atogrim and 2 others like this.
  13. Earl Atogrim von Draken

You now what's the best anti pk?
    A damned bounty hunter.
    That's what a sandbox is there for.

blaquerogue, Brandon3 and Moonshadow like this.
  14. Xail

Xail Avatar

Quote "When players are "forced" to participate or Engage with PvPers, they will just leave"....sometimes a detail in a words change the whole meaning of a phrase....

We are not talking about TO FORCE....we are talking about TO GIVE INCENTIVE....

I never know being behind a screen if people that often do this king of speech just do not get it or intentionally prefer to go the rhetoric way....

blaquerogue and Moonshadow like this.
  15. High Baron Asguard

Yes but the real question is why? Why do you NEED an incentive to play that way? If PVP is as fundemental and fun and exciting as PVP people argue it is then why do you need any more motivation than "it's fun" to play that way? If you need an incentive to play that way then by definition it's NOT fun, it's a chore your having to do to get x incentive.

Weins201 likes this.
  16. TantX

TantX Avatar

If you got no loot or gear or reward or XP from killing mobs, but you still use potions, regs, wear down your weapons and armor, etc., would you still kill them over and over again? Sometimes you need a reward or an incentive to keep doing it. PvP like any social interaction has to have incentives to keep people doing it, otherwise less and less people keep doing it. Less people doing it means less people to fight. Less people to fight means less interesting PvP and less opponents. Less opponents and interest means people look elsewhere for PvP. People look elsewhere for PvP and other community-related and population-dependent mechanics suffer.

blaquerogue and Moonshadow like this.
  17. High Baron Asguard

actually I am playing a game exactly like that currently. I am playing a second play through of Mass Effect 3 on Insanity because I am interested to see if I can win it and get the insanity trophy but I maxed out my character on the first playthrough so no XP, no level ups, no new skills. Same character from start to finish. I am not saying you shouldn't have purely PvP mechanics like leaderboards ect but any "reward" should just be cosmetic only. As for replacement of resources, yea you should be able to replace your resources, at the same rate as any other play style can, no more no less, if you want players you kill to magically drop gold and health potions and reagents or whatever the way any other kill would, I will buy that, it would take a bit of suspension of disbelief because there is no full loot but that's ok. If you want XP for your kill the same as any other monster you fight, yea buy that too. Have no real problem with that, its when people start talking about the best X and Y only being accessible if you PvP that I have a real problem with it because then it stops being about level playing field and starts being about "I want to be rewarded for playing MY play style and no one else should" and that is bad for the game as a whole. No one would suggest that those who chose to play the game by never engaging with combat and simply spend all there time in town picking flowers should be handed a special reward for it, no one also is saying that if someone wants to do that they shouldn't be allowed to but someone else choosing to play that style should have zero effect on anyone elses style and PvP is no different, if that's what floats your boat go for it but don't expect to be rewarded by the game for it at the detriment of everyone else

18. Xail

Xail Avatar

Put no loot no levels no reward for crafting and PVE and see what happens...

90% of makes the world spin are the incentives...the other 10% are low of physics....

This is the rules in gaming but also in everything else...every man that know the world well know this...I'm modestly well aware of this... :)

You are doing and ideological point that has nothing to do with reality...

blaquerogue likes this.
  19. Xail

Xail Avatar

Quote "....your boat go for it but don't expect to be rewarded by the game for it at the detriment of everyone else"...again rhetoric...who said to want it at the detriment of everyone else?

This playing the victim is really out of place.

blaquerogue likes this.
  20. Xail

Xail Avatar

Quote: "its when people start talking about the best X and Y only being accessible if you PvP that I have a real problem with it"....who said that?...just you...

The best of gear is available by crafting...and you do not see PVPers complain with rhetoric that it is unfair because it force you to craft...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.