Turning PvP back off

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by KnownInGameAsGeorge, Feb 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnownInGameAsGeorge

KnownInGameAsGeorge Avatar

I am not upset. I just went and turned it off, took all of 10 minutes.

I thought it worth pointing out that it was a disapointing feature and I never plan on turning it on again. It is a game in beta, I thought it good to mention features that I would never use again, perhaps they can still change it.

Stundorn likes this.
  2. KnownInGameAsGeorge

People in the PvP zones were nice enough. It was in town that it was an issue.

Stundorn likes this.
  3. KnownInGameAsGeorge

I always have valuables. Yes, I turned PvP off and wont be turning it back on. I learned that lesson.

Stundorn likes this.
  4. KnownInGameAsGeorge

I assume that is why he said he got mad and had to cast spells at me, probably wasted an hour lurking around to grief someone and then that person told them they were an ass and walked away.

5. KnownInGameAsGeorge

I hear that, but dont really have a question. I could ask, "Can you please change feature X because i dont like it?", bit that is a request more than a question.

6. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Im super glad you individually answered each question.

I dont really understand the original reason for your post tho.

You know how pickpocketing works, decided to ignore common pvp sense ( if your flagged your open game, so generally only flag when ure intending to find other people to fight ) .

You dislike a feature, and deem it griefing. Even though, to be pickpocket you must be flagged. Personally i enjoy pickppcketing people, and the defensive side of having to watch my stuff. So calling a feature YOU dont like, and have full control to opt in or out of, a feature only in play to grief, simply isnt true.

Technically mobs shooting back, slows my exp grind to get me to high end pvp.
    Those mobs only intention is to grief players. Its stupid. Waste of time.
    ( kinda silly to dismiss things like that )

Its too bad you don't enjoy pvp.
    But honestly? Espectially with the ransom system being, not only cheap, but easily bypassed? PvP is one of the only real *exciting* things in the game IMO. Even in its crude form.

Simply put, you said so yourself. Unless you intend to actually seek out combat with players, you or anyone should avoid the hassle of flagging. And honestly, people do need to stop calling a player doing what they can do take from you, when your both choosing to flag, a grief system. PvP is competition.

All in all, what exactly would you like changed in PvP? Im not seeing a real suggestion..( unless i missing it (mobile))

Chrystoph Reis likes this.
  7. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I understand you very well, but think over this ...

If 3 out of 10 want excitement like this, why force 7 to do something to circumvent?
    The 3 want it and they can change it quick and without anything to do but click.
    What you need is not force someone to do it or recommend it to do it (PvP only scene, we recommend to flag if you want the short cut, see its beauty ,use the environment for exploring, roleplaying, PvE ...). What they call consensual atm is not a real consens!
    Sure you can avoid PvP, but then you are locked of.
    Does it give PvP Meaning? No. Does PvP happen like the PvP players want , are the numbers increasing or decreasing?
    It's all about this sort of forcing people , of suggesting it is consensual, but it is not!
    And it's maybe about time, if people know there are pk with adv level 100 and 10 GM , if there are people who just grief and spawncamp you, if people!E can loose things that takes them hours of grind to get it and have a good chance to loose it and minimum pay for it, they just don't do it, although they aren't against PvP generally.

What would make PvP interesting for people to try out is:
    1st as PvPers show them you do not need exclusiveness. No scenes PvP only.
    It's a free decision, it's a decision that should make fun, there are other better ways to get people interested in than give them XP Bonus and let them visit scenes that just people can see if they are willing to risk a fight. Titles, wearables things like that.
    If you are the pk powerplay type of gamer this is sure nothing to you, this people have fun impairing others by powerplaying, griefing and just kos you. They don't ask any moral questions.
    This is maybe a playstyle, I never understood, but it seems it's a playstyle, yeah.
    Sorry to say that , I DONT WANT TO PLAY WITH YOU!!!

@Duke Avery I don't think you are such a person, but they are still around asking for gamemechanics of more powerplay and griefing. That is where those players generate their meaning for PvP.
    I worked hard for my char, I have the power, I ask for nothing, survival of the fittest.
    Well, competition. Always everywhere. If you your are weak it's your fault, everybody can do it if you can not, die!

I have another attitude in general, but especially in gaming.

He was just a PK and KOS!

I don't like PK and KOS, but I want to grant them to play their playstyle among each other.
    So flagging should be 100% optional for all content in the game!

We need interests in flagging, we need some cap, we need not exclusive scenes, but things to show of I am playing PvP and I am good at it (crowns of war merchants with wearables and titles and such).

Don't bother people who don't want to PvP, don't lock them off of scenes, dont try to drive them flagging, if you want PvP enlived then balance the op players that had exploited to much with a skillcap for pvp, let of of looting ressources, reagents and equip, it's hard to restock for everybody who just plays 1-2 hours in the evening.
    If not, fine PvP is only for hardcore powergamers, but this will never be a big PvP community.
    If the plan was to have some op PvP gods and a lot of sheep's who sometimes use the shortcut or can be caught while greedy for XP , I would say it ends up in nobody flags instead of the op PvP gods.
    They than can fight each other, but unfortunately we talk about a small amount group of persons.

The op shows very well what will happen, if things don't change.
    Some clueless people flag believing nobody would be so bad to just kos and PK me if I am talking to a NPC or craft. Why they do that, it's no challenge , is this fun?
    Yes, if you like powerplaying and impairing others, ofcourse!
    And then conclude , OK nothing for me, play with yourself and like-minded people.
    And with that you end up where you actually are. No PvP at all!
    You have just wolf's lurking for sheep's, but the sheeps have granted safe ways.

And know please don't say , the sheeps shouldn't have safe ways to avoid PvP in the dark forest where the wolf's are lurking.
    If , you don't get my point about powerplaying, impairing and having fun to just PK and kos.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    georgegad and Duke Albert like this.
  8. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

It matters because we're in early access. Lots of folks flag for PVP and then when one has a less than pleasant experience, they come back to the forums threatening to rage quit and just sharing their bad experience for everyone to latch onto - and then it's a full tilt toward PVP for the let's all hate PVP crowd and it divides the community. It's cool that people don't like PVP but everyone seems to lash out and attack this playstyle and it's bad for the game - the moderators don't stand up for PVPers and it just creates a lot of unwanted hassle in the forums.

It's an early access game. Feedback matters. Circumstances are important and every detail counts.

For a very long time now people that enjoy PVP have been soliciting for meaningful PVP game mechanics. I asked if you were interacting with a merchant because had you been - the feedback would have been very useful. Maybe instead of attacking PVP head-on some feedback for some Oracle Protected safe zones in some merchant areas could have been helpful.

Truth is I guess, most of the PVP crowd is just at their wits end... there's no top-down community support for our playstyle and people that don't even participate in PVP give negative feedback and then our playstyle is nerfed. The PVP crowd helped fund this game too - I guess everyone is just tired of getting dumped on.

For you... I would suggest that next time you want to go and flag for PVP - read what the Oracle says - she gives a very clear warning about what might happen if you remove protection.

9. Gix

Gix Avatar

I think there's plenty of interest; it just shows how little faith people have in the PvP system...

Seriously. What questions can we possible ask that the devs would be willing/capable of answering? We know certain questions won't be answered because "they don't know"; it's discouraging, really.

It's not so much because the devs "promised this or that" that it would necessarily fail... you just don't put people who are trying to learn unorthodox systems in a volatile environment.

georgegad likes this.
  10. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

You know, this is a really interesting idea. Something like the Oracle Confirmatory produces a bubble of safety within a certain radius, and many NPC merchants tend to be within that zone in order to maximize the safety of the citizens they interact with. Extend that to confirmatory buildings placed in POTs as well.

That would be a function for the broken oracle statue head that I could appreciate too. As it is, the one I bought is useless.

Numa and Duke Avery like this.
  11. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Isn't it kind of the intention to have NPC guards to do exactly this? Or are NPC guards that do stuff not happening?

12. Browncoat Jayson

NPC guards are an option, however there are issues with them. Having roving guard NPCs is "expensive", as there needs to be a large number of them to be viable, and they have to keep pathing fairly continuously to do their jobs. Plus, each has to have conversations, so their is writing involved for a lot of extraneous NPCs (see Ardoris for the crazy number of guards it has, and even it is not well protected). Then there is the issue of combat in towns, what stats guards would need to have to be viable, and what happens when a guard is killed; does it simply respawn like any creature? Should instead, the wandering guards shout for backups and then the nameless creature "City Guard" spawn and rush to attack? Is that more, or less, immersive for the player?

So yes, guards should exist. They should have game consequences for murderers and thieves. But I don't think its likely that we will see that level of NPC interaction in Episode 1.

georgegad likes this.
  13. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Turn all the cats into people NPC guards... everything is already there - it's not that it's too expensive, it's that resources aren't being properly managed. We need guards more than we need cats, I mean come on - who here is here for the cats? But we need guards and they're too expensive? hahaha

lol

14. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I wasn't trying to be nice. I was trying to show you what you were doing was not a smart move. I could have killed you and gotten a shot at a big ransom, but I wasn't griefing you... you were afk. When you came back and acted the way you did, that's when I went after you. And you deserved it.

You learned your lesson and went and shut the flag off. But when you instantly start swearing at people in the game, don't expect them to be nice to you.

Numa, Gix, Stundorn and 1 other person like this.
  15. Browncoat Jayson

Yeah, because guards with patrol routes and combat logic are the same as cats with a 10m wander radius...

16. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I don't write code - but I do see cats everywhere and understand the factions system enough to know they're pretty heavily integrated into the game already. I know the cats respond to people and I've seen them in combat... glorious bloody cat-cleansing combat! We don't need cats - we need NPC guards that respond to PVP events. That said, if it's a matter of 'expensive' or being too much of a tax on game resources... I vote we lose the cats and reuse their faction system to get functioning NPC guards up and running. But that's just a pipe dream of mine. I know SotA would always opt for cats over functional meaningful PVP game mechanics. A player can dream though.

Stundorn likes this.
  17. KnownInGameAsGeorge

I completly agree, I should never have flagged for PvP in the first place, it was stupid. I normally wouldnt have, i dont PvP in most other games. I only did it a few weeks ago and I never would have but there was a massive push to get people involved.

So I tried it, and no I didnt like it. It was all the things I dont like about PvP.
    Unless I strip everything off first I would never turn it on again, and if I did there would be no point in a thieving skill because all I would have in inventory would be advertisements for my stall.

From the perspective of development time and the game still being in production I think that is a fairly important thing to mention.
    While there is a lot of talk about puting more effort into PvP, I expect I will never use the feature again and would prefer it were given less attention.

It is something I will simply never use.

Koldar and MrBlight like this.
  18. KnownInGameAsGeorge

I fully respect your position.

Yes I am mostly just posting to give feedback on my bad experience, I dont have an answer for what to do about it. The common thought is I should not flag PvP, and that is done so the issue wont come upagain. Easy fix. Like the last post said, that means every thing done for PvP from now on is wasted development time for me unless it somehow changes the situation.

I realise that isnt what you want. I played PvP a lot as a teenager against my close friends and enjoyed the competition, I am old and lazy now and just cant be bothered with it.

I know that might be your playstyle, but like the earlier post, I would never play with you guys. Eventually I see the future being you all stealing the same worthless items from eachother because nobody but PvPers are flagged and they have empty inventories... accept for now and then when you are lucky enough to catch someone off guard and forgetting to unflag and grief them for profit.

I can see that being a bit entertaining as a sport for you, but no I would not spend time playing that game with you. I have no interest in playing to provide a fun target for your theft, and none of you have anything I want so there is no point me stealing back.

19. KnownInGameAsGeorge

I was not planning to flag for PvP again.

20. Gix

Gix Avatar

@georgegad DUDE! Chill!
    I suggest you don't ever get near any role-player... much less PvP. You're taking it WAY to personal.

As a thief, they accepted the possibility of being attacked just as you accepted the possibility of being stolen from. Should they deserve being attacked? Sure! Go get them! ... or, in your case, convince someone else to go get them. That's what the game is for some people! Cat and mouse! PvP!

When I steal, I don't care about your stuff. I just want to know that I got away with it.

You can hate a character for stealing, you can hate the system that allows it to happen but don't attack or hate the players for it.

This is an outright death threat. If you were to actually exercise this mindset, you'd be a criminal... and more-so than an actual, real, thief.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    Adam Crow and chuck5086 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.