Turning PvP back off

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by KnownInGameAsGeorge, Feb 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

I feel the need to comment here. When one PvP flags in this game, one must assume the worst can happen. So, even if you decide to remain flagged PvP in town, never carry any of your valuables on you because if you don't get attacked by another player flagged PvP, it is almost certain that some thief will sneak up on you and steal from you. Personally, I just simply don't flag myself PvP if I don't have to and whenever I find myself in a PvP zone, I am always well prepared for the worst possible scenario.
    For those that do flag themselves 24/7, they always carry virtually nothing or useless junk. They also wear clothes/armor that can't be looted.
    But this game pales in comparison to 'old school' UO from the late 90's where it was open PvP and full loot. It was a game where I learned how to survive.
    Basically, if you learn and understand how the PvP system in this game works then you should be alright and you could even have some fun with it. If it isn't your 'cup of tea', then you always have that choice not to ever flag.
    I'm sorry you had a bad experience with this.

Armar and Adam Crow like this.
  2. Gix

Gix Avatar

Unless you don't have enough gold... because, technically, if you're aware that it happened, you can just buy the item back.

Alexander likes this.
  3. chuck5086

chuck5086 Avatar

I think theiving is a great system and I hope they do more with it. If they made the stealing like UO style, it'd be fun for everyone. 90% of the time you would end up guard waked anyway. And thieves were attackable all the time, because they were technically always Reds. I think it just needs some tweaking. Kinda so you can tell who's up to what before anything actually happens. People going and standing beside people to peek bags was a good give away on UO.

4. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Nope, you're the first. Everyone else totally understood what I was trying to do. Sorry again for the misunderstanding, I live in the same town as you, so I was NOT trying to steal your stuff and make you hate me lol. If you want to kill me in the streets of Kiln, shoot me a message, I'm up for a duel anytime :D

Gix likes this.
  5. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

If you don't typically PVP / like it in other games, then quite honestly I have no idea why you would come to a forum and complain. *well I do, but it's not a nice opinion*

Obviously you are not a PvPer by your own admission and later context. So now instead of being constructive criticism, it just sounds like a whole lot of bellyaching.. and distraction from real Pvpers who like it, and give value add.

These type of threads are why I hate coming to forums. Someone lock this...

Fister Magee and Grumpy like this.
  6. KnownInGameAsGeorge

KnownInGameAsGeorge Avatar

I like the post, and agree It is a game mechanic, but no I really think the thief is the real thief. Nobody forced him to steal, it is a game mechanic but he doesnt have to use it.

7. kl4nk

kl4nk Avatar

Wow. Theres almost always something entertaining to read on here.

Has a (former) thief. The real joy of that playstyle is the stalking, the adrenaline flowing , the risk of getting caught and having to fight or flee. It has almost nothing to do with the loot. Making yourself appear on KOS list has your reputation grow. Real fun for alot of us.

Pvp is missing purpose in this game, and we found a way to create some for ourself.

8. KnownInGameAsGeorge

Absolutley. And now that I tried it for a few weeks and get how it works I have turned it back off. I will choose to not ever flag.

I normally would not have even considered flagging for PvP, but there was a big community push to try it.

Tried it, didnt like it.

Other peoples experience may differ, but it sounds a lot like many agree and have just come to terms with the fact they will never use the feature, but being beta I thought it worth mentioning.

Alexander likes this.
  9. KnownInGameAsGeorge

What?

He stole from me.

Why is it any different when he stole online?

I worked for those 4 gold, as little as it is. I could have paid real money for that gold, taking it from me is theft, not a game mechanic called 'stealing'.

10. KnownInGameAsGeorge

Sure.
    I will message soon then.
    I unflagged PvP, If i had wanted a duel I would have spoken to you and we would have arranged a duel.

Since you are sorry though, i will have my 4 gold back. I will wait in Kiln for it when i message you.

11. KnownInGameAsGeorge

A lot of people in a lot of games make griefing the way they find fun. I dont play with those type of people.
    Isnt it more exciting to do that in a PvP zone where people are expecting it, not while they are at a crafting table fifty meteres from the bank and weighed down by a bag of crafting supplies?

He wasnt even very good, I saw him coming a mile away. I just didnt think he was going to be an ass and steal from me, not after everyone else in PvP zones had been extremely polite. In the PvP zone I doubt anyone would have attacked me without my consent, but they do in town. It is backwards.

12. kl4nk

kl4nk Avatar

You sadly brought the pvp zone to town with you.
    Ie: your pvp flag

13. KnownInGameAsGeorge

Yeah, that is odd. And yeah a little sad.

And that is why I turned off my flag and made a post.

14. KnownInGameAsGeorge

As a person who knows some teanagers who rob houses, they say exactly the same.
    Theft isnt about the money, sometimes it is but rarely, it is normally about the thrill of stealing.
    I dont see how it is different online, you would get the same joy robbing people offline and not need to pay for access.

If that is the thrill you like, shoplifting is cheap and profitable.
    Why stop at online theft? It is low risk, low rush, the real excitment is robbing people in the real world. Isnt it? Imagine the adrenaline when you are on your first day of prison! I am betting it will be intense, best of luck with it.

kl4nk likes this.
  15. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Okay let me explain why this thread was not productive... in a simple analogy.

A vegan tries a hamburger and then post why he doesn't like it. Do people who LIKE hamburgers need or want this opinion?

16. kl4nk

kl4nk Avatar

Nice!

How about you get out there in the real world and start murdering ppl. Imagine all the experience you will get!

Sereiously. This is a lost cause.

17. KnownInGameAsGeorge

Is there any reason to be angry at the vegan when he goes back to being vegan and tells all his vegan friends how he didnt like meat and how right they are to stay vegan?

18. KnownInGameAsGeorge

Yes. That extremism was kinda my point.

I should have perhaps put SARCASM WARNING at the top of it, but I am neglectful.
    You got what I was trying to say though by the sound.

19. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Yes. Because you are complaining about something you knew you wouldn't like to begin with AND you are disparaging something that other people enjoy. Your opinion is skewed from the beginning and all you are doing is spreading unnecessary negativity. So why do it?

PS. And if you don't understand the point of that you are obviously a troll, and I'm done responding to you.

20. KnownInGameAsGeorge

For the sake of all playing along at home, spoke to Adam and we actually didnt need to kill each other in rage.
    He is actually not a Dbag, he was just playing a game that put him in a position where theft is a glorified outcome and he was trying to do well at it.

As mentioned, the point was not to rage at him over the 4gold any more than he was trying to make a living off my 4 gold. The point was to speak our opposing views on the forum of the game we are part of designing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.