PVP Numbers drop leaps and bounds since lower M/EXP Gains

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Yakamo LLTS, Jan 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I wasn't agreeing with that part. :)

Weins, what does it matter if people that don't like pvp don't get a pvp bonus? I don't really get the problem there. PVE is far less risky, it's a way (although not a smart way) to help balance risk vs. reward. For the sake of argument, let's say that 30% of our players are either really into PVP or they would try it if there were incentives. Why does it matter if the other 70% of the player base doesn't want to pvp and wouldn't even try it? Isn't it worth trying to make 30% of our player base interested in a key goal of the game?

PVP isn't going away, it was a kicktarter promise, to have "meaningful pvp". So it's really important that we support it so that can happen.

2. Soylent Green

Soylent Green Avatar

Playing cat and mouse with enemies camped near the zone entry for a realm for Dark Age of Camelot was fun. Trying to get them to aggro the guards then rolling them with the help of the guards then killing random enemies from other realms until someone in your realm aggros the other realms guards was much funner than being killed before you can make a move zoning into Deep Ravenswood.

25% bonus isn't really worth it for Exp. I just PvP for fun. Glad I can turn it off and take my ball and go home when its not fun.

3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

If you're flagged and playing multiplayer, you get a 20% experience bonus. It was only reduced by 5%. I personally un-flagged because it wasn't fun. I suspect that's what happened for a lot of others too.

4. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

In other news: Water....wet.

Thwip likes this.
  5. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

I am surprised they don't actively do surveys. Telethons every few months. Surveys - not so much. Not trying to compare apples/oranges. Just trying to make a point: do a survey - even if it's once. @DarkStarr - maybe, since I am new (R30?), I missed this in the past?

6. Womby

Womby Avatar

Grief and aggravation are not exclusive to PVP. Today I accidentally entered Deep Ravenswood in multiplayer. I didn't notice the mode I was in, and fought and killed two bears, one of which was Obsidian. Before I could skin the Obsidian bear someone ran up and used corpse explosion on it. I then switched to my usual Friends Only mode and had the entire scene to myself. I figure I got at least 100% more XP than I would have in multiplayer.

If multiplayer without PVP is that obnoxious, I shudder to think what multiplayer with PVP is like.

7. Drocis the Devious

You would've been corpse exploded and looted. Now you know. :)

8. Womby

Womby Avatar

From where I sit it looks like PVP is a game mode that allows people who enjoy inflicting misery on others to meet up with people who enjoy having misery inflicted on them. In any case, I don't judge.

9. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

My entire friends list is down by a lot, most are not PvP. I don't think anyone can conclude it's PvP related or -5% PvP bonus related. R36 and 37 did the opposite of polish. There are simply too many broken and unbalanced things at the moment.

Now that many players have had the exp faucet turned off they had to survive withdrawal. Not all do.

Hezro, Alexander, Numa and 1 other person like this.
  10. Drocis the Devious

Just like in PVE there are different types of players in PVP.

There's certainly a group of people that are only out to make other people unhappy.
    But there are probably an equal amount in the opposite extreme that enjoy killing those people.

Like any group there's a middle ground, and the majority reside there. People that don't mind an occasional battle but aren't looking for constant action either. If Portalarium finally puts all the pieces together, it's that group that will find most of their time being flagged for pvp filled with enjoyment. Right now it's way too skewed with people that really have selfish desires to use the world and the people in it for their own amusement. That will change in time.

11. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Well, I did have friends leave because of that, so I know for a fact they lost players from it.

12. GraveDncer

GraveDncer Avatar

I like PVP but I'm taking break because...

1: Ungodly XP farming and Early XP exploits made it impossible to catch up.
    2: My main attack was broken "again".
    3: I'm still annoyed that my obsidian potion clock runs when I'm offline.

I'll be back in a few months, I'm sure I'll be just as exited as I was after my last 10 month hiatus.

Numa, Kvow Triumvir and Saxon like this.
  13. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

If you don't want other ideas your post is a rant and by that not worth considering.

Sean Silverfoot, Womby and Stundorn like this.
  14. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

This is actually a great idea that I've thought about, but haven't had the time to implement. Perhaps we shall have to redouble our efforts here.

15. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Please make them email out and not just forum based (possibly email linked to a forum based poll?). Hopefully you would get a greater volume of responses.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    EDDYCORP, nonaware and Kabalyero like this.
  16. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Give them 50% and let them do what they want!
    You will see this will push PvP in the first time and then numbers will get down again.
    Lately when they don't need XP anymore.

Ah wait give them 200% to make this process faster and stop whining about no PvP.

Fister Magee and Kinkara like this.
  17. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

give me something to fight over or for that is supported by game mechanics and i would flag every now and then.

i have no real interest in stealing looting or just randomly killing other avatars, even more so having that happen to me everytime a ? pops into a zone.

i stand by my suggestion to make control points pvp only zones that turn off after a wave event has been run and it becomes a pve zone for an a few hours. i think that would be that start of meaningful pvp where group battles and tactics would have an actual effect on the world rather than just having random killers trollin about.

mass, Bow Vale, Kinkara and 1 other person like this.
  18. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Exactly my thoughts, the xp boost to PVP maybe gave some players a reason to try it out, but they probably figured it's just not really their thing and unflagged.

19. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

This exactly. Couldnt play over the holidays. They JUST fixed ranged on friday ( thats 1/3 people there ) and now de sync makes more then 3 playrrs in a zone a nightmare.
    Spent an hour with 6 guildies and 2 of the devs ..( attenwood for one ) showing them what ghost killing people was. Gave them exact idea of what de sync is doing by announcing who sees what.. then when someone was de synced.. wed quickly duel and have that person run to other side of map. Clearly showed shooting across map.. hense players beig killed by * invisible players *. Also showed how i can pick pocket same way.
    Attenwood even desynced and i managed to duel him and show him exactly. So they have a good idea now..
    If they can fix is a dif story.

But till a proper sync fix comes in.. why would anyone flag? Its a nightmare.

We ran 8 of us in DR. And i flagged just for fun off a pvp farmer.. ended up in a few scraps but it was awful. I ghost killed 1 guy and felt bad. Guildies had him 50 feet away.. and i was shooten em from his de synced char half way on other instance.
    It sounds greasy but was less intentional then intended. That being said.. when im attacked by someone do i just sit there till im sure its not lagged out? No.

Hopefully a fix comes to multiplayer soon. As currently its a pain to group. And its a nightmare to pvp.
    The xp debuff is irrelevent to me n my group for flagging.

One Zero, Fister Magee, Thwip and 2 others like this.
  20. Belgtor

Belgtor Avatar

I have spent most of my time pvp flagged over the last few releases. A mix of personal enjoyment and testing. The EXP bouse didn't really effect me all in all. While at first more people flagged, which seemed good. Personal experience showed me that most people didn't want to pvp even when flagged. This made no sense to me, the bouse brought people to pvp for the wrong reasons. I pvp to fight for an objective or to test my skills. I don't find enjoyment in killing people who can't fight back. People who choose to flag and say they don't want to fight is just strange to me.

While I will say over all I find more pvp players. Which is good however I would like to see something else besides the exp bouse. Results aside I think other step later down the road is what will bring pvp focused plays back.

The thief bug is also a big deal that should be hot fixed.

Over all glad to see some steps being made to improve pvp. Even with the mountains of other tasks the devs have to deal with over the next 3 months.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.